Do I need add'l vent at shower?

Users who are viewing this thread

Randy Navarro

Reaction score
2015 UPC.

The diagram is straight down plan view--not to scale. Hopefully it explains everything.

Do I need to vent the shower separately or is the drain vent at the toilet adequate for both fixtures?

Attachments

• Basement Bath Plumbing Diagram.JPG
    Basement Bath Plumbing Diagram.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:

Stuff

Reaction score
yes, you need a separate vent as the toilet can easily empty the shower trap. Also the toilet itself does not look like it is properly vented.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You could vent the toilet by venting the shower in 2".
The toilet doesn't vent the shower though. A vent needs to be between the two.

Randy Navarro

Reaction score
yes, you need a separate vent as the toilet can easily empty the shower trap. Also the toilet itself does not look like it is properly vented.
Thanks for the reply, stuff.

Why do you think the toilet is not properly vented?

There is a 2" heel coming off the elbow under the closet flange and turns up vertically into the 2x6 wall behind the toilet.

Randy Navarro

Reaction score
You could vent the toilet by venting the shower in 2".
The toilet doesn't vent the shower though. A vent needs to be between the two.
Thank you also, Terry.

I mis-worded the original post and asked if the drain was adequate for both fixtures. I meant to say vent.

So the vent at the toilet is not adequate for the shower? Too far?

This is an existing basement and I've already cut the concrete per the diagram shown. I'd prefer not to cut more concrete!

Option B is to tee off the vertical vent stack behind the toilet in the wall and over to the square cut-out in the concrete for the tub trap. Some funky fittings but I have room to tee or wye off the horizontal drain at the tub. I think I'd rather do that than cut more concrete. Anything wrong with that plan?

And finally, is a 1.5" vent adequate or do I need 2"?

Stuff

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks