Delta valve trim with no rough-in body

Users who are viewing this thread

EightFootMontre

Reaction score
Install installed a Delta 91557 diverter with no rough-in body. I am trying to install a 107533 valve trim but quickly realized there is no place to anchor the backplate. Will the trim nut be enough to hold both the escutcheon and the backplate in place? Or do I need to drill through tile and figure out how to secure the backplate?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't find the models you posted. But the delta universal valve uses threaded screws to secure the faceplate or backing plate to the wall via the rough in body.

1674678172830.png

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
A shower trim can only function if there is a rough in valve in the wall first. How could a shower get tiled without a rough in valve? Hopefully there is hot and cold piping and access on the other side to install it. Or perhaps tile is covering the rough in valve?

Last edited:

EightFootMontre

Reaction score
A shower trim can only function if there is a rough in valve in the wall first. How could a shower get tiled without a rough in valve? Hopefully there is hot and cold piping and access on the other side to install it. Or perhaps tile is covering the rough in valve?
The valve is in the wall, just not the Delta rough in body. The trim backplate is supposed to screw into the rough in body. Tile on both sides, no access. I'm hoping to sink 4 anchors in the tile to hold the trim backplate.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm confused. What brand trim are you installing? What brand rough in valve is installed in the wall?

If the 2 don't match, they won't work correctly or at all.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think this person is calling the mud ring the rough valve.

The tile is hiding the holes in the rough valve that IS installed. The screws go into holes that are likley hidden behind the tile. The mud ring is meant to be left on to make this easier for tile guys to tile around and it makes it easier for the plumber to guide the screws.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it has the mud ring installed then the trim plate screws would be visible and accessible.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks