Dealing with arsenic

Users who are viewing this thread

Chucky5150

Reaction score
Source: private well
Arsenic: 0.051 ppm
EPA standard for arsenic: 0.010 ppm
Full water test from kitchen sink (after 30 year old air injection iron filter that is on its last leg and new softener)
Results

As I understand there is arsenic 3 and 5. I do not know how much of either one I have as it's another test (and another $130).

I do have a nice, at least it seems so, RO and remineralization filter for drinking water and refrigerator hookup.

Question is this:
If heavy on arsenic 3 I do what?

If heavy on arsenic 5 I do something else, but what?

All I've really come across while searching tonight is to install an RO (check) or distill the water (seems excessive).

Attached is water test results at the well source and the kitchen sink (not RO).

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Report JTSPII (1).pdf
    21.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Water Test Results.pdf
    203.2 KB · Views: 125

Gsmith22

Reaction score
you will get better responses in the softener forum. until then, see this link for arsenic treatment options. arsenic is common in NJ well water. According to the link, RO is ineffective for arsenic 3 and is the least preferred option for arsenic treatment.

edit: hadn't looked at your water reports. one shows high iron and manganese (while other shows no manganese?) but if you read that link i put above for arsenic treatment, iron and manganese may foul the adsoptive media for removing arsenic so you probably need to have something to deal with the iron/manganese first before running through the media for the arsenic. i would repost this (or ask admins to move it) over on the water softener forum where these discussions occur more often and you will get better answers. one of the reports says that you have a pretty low LSI - do you have copper (or other metal) piping or see any blue-green stains in sinks, toilets, showers from corrosion?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
With your high 4.51 of iron, some media like Katalox Light may knock the arsenic way down.

My Centaur Carbon based iron+H2S filter took my arsenic from .006 to below the .002 test sensitivity. Happy surprise. I think Katalox light has a similar effect. See the third occurrence of the word "arsenic" in https://www.watchwater.de/katalox-light-iron-manganese-and-hydrogen-sulfide-removal/

Your manganese level is a big deal too. Your water will stain concrete and houses and fences if you spray them.

I agree the softener forum is the better place.

Chucky5150

Reaction score
Sorry it was clearer, posting this from my phone.

Test from kitchen after softener & filtration: JTSPII(1).pdf

Test from well source: Water Test Results.pdf

I'll get caught up in other replies in a few.

Edit: I am in the market to replace the antique Culligan air injection iron filter.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks