Users who are viewing this thread

johnboy585

Reaction score
Hello, I am in need of a new oil furnace and came across a Danby KLR-100 which does not have the high efficiency condensing feature. I read that the condensing ones are trouble. I cannot find hardly any user reviews on this brand. I presently have a 24 year old Airco that has a leaky heat exchanger and would like an upgrade.
If anyone has any experience with Danby furnaces, your input would be appreciated. Thank You.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I believe you mean Granby? An oil furnace is not a DIY project. A lot of code requirements, plumbing and venting. You would want a unit that is sold locally in your area by dealers for parts and service. On the coldest night of the year and the furnace fails, you want where parts can be had and the techs are familiar with the unit.

Last edited:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Hello, I am in need of a new oil furnace and came across a Danby KLR-100 which does not have the high efficiency condensing feature. I read that the condensing ones are trouble. I cannot find hardly any user reviews on this brand. I presently have a 24 year old Airco that has a leaky heat exchanger and would like an upgrade.
If anyone has any experience with Danby furnaces, your input would be appreciated. Thank You.

Since you have at least 20 minutes until the heating season begins in earnest, it makes sense to do some amount of analysis now to figure out the right SIZE replacement equipment. The KLR-100 can have output between 66,000 -91,000 BTU/hr depending on which burner & nozzle. How do you know whether that will be enough, (or too much)? Comfort is about sizing it so that the duty cycles are extra long when its extra cold, but still enough burner to keep up. Most heating equipment in VT is ridiculously oversized for the loads, and while it's able to keep the place warm, it's not exactly optimal comfort, alternating from the hot blast from the registers for 10-15 minutes followed by the chill, repeat, even during the coldest weather. When the equipment craps out it's an opportunity moment for getting it right, so that the run times are VERY long during cold weather, but never loses ground.

To get a handle on the load, run fuel use against heating degree-day data (or a K-factor stamped on a wintertime oil fill up, which is the same info packaged differently) to calculate the home's actual heat load at Barre's 99% outside design temp of -11F (yes, I know it gets colder than that, about 1% of the time). For details on how to run those numbers see this bit o' bloggery.

The KLR-100 isn't a current model, but the documentation implies it was still being made as recently as 2014. There may still be old-stock new KLR-100s around, and maybe even local support (the manufacturer's HQ are across the border in Quebec, but not too far from Barre VT). Still don't dive in until you're positive it's the right size furnace for your application.

Do you have an air conditioner that needs to work with the furnace air handler too?

Even the smallest oil burners are in the ~60,000 BTU/hr range, and for optimal comfort the furnace should be no more than 1.4x the design heat load at the 99% outside design temp. So if the 99% heat load is (60K/1.4= ) ~43K the very smallest oil furnaces might still be a good fit, but much smaller than that something else would be more comfortable. Sometimes the "right" solution is a cold climate heat pump, even in VT, at VT's higher than US average electric rates, especially (but not exclusively) when the load numbers turn out to be south of 45,000 BTU/hr.

Jorgebaloy

Reaction score

There are several factors you need to consider so that you make the right choice for your home.

Choose the Best Fuel Type for Your Budget

Furnaces are powered by different fuels such as coal, fuel oil, and wood, but the most common fuel source is natural gas. An electric furnace or heat pump can provide a viable option for homeowners living in the south and the southeastern United States where winters are mild, but they are far less efficient in climates like Virginia’s. A gas or oil-powered model will provide the high-efficiency heating you need to keep you comfortable and reduce your energy consumption.

Pay Attention to Fuel Prices

It is also important to consider that oil prices fluctuate more often than gas prices. Costs could drop one month, then shoot up the next, so you will need to prepare for those fluctuations. If you need more consistency, consider a gas furnace that will offer more predictable monthly expenses.

Examine AFUE Ratings

AFUE stands for annual fuel utilization efficiency and describes the overall energy efficiency of a particular furnace. AFUE ratings are expressed as percentages, and higher numbers indicate greater efficiency. Oil furnaces tend to boast AFUE ratings between 60 and 80 percent while gas furnaces can achieve up to 98 percent in their AFUE ratings.

Consider the Total Cost of Ownership

The total cost of ownership (TOC) takes into account energy use, installation, maintenance, and repair costs for your new furnace. Some furnaces hold up better than others over the years, so you won’t have to spend as much money to keep them running. You might find furnaces that take less time or effort to install, so your upfront costs will decrease.

Consult Your HVAC Technician

Don’t discount your HVAC technician as an indispensable resource. He or she has installed or worked on many HVAC units, and therefore, knows what systems can best meet your needs. Your contractor will perform a load calculation to take into consideration factors unique to your home such as its size and the number of occupants. A trained contractor will be able to take need, budget, and all relevant considerations into account to help you to make your decision.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks