Cut & thread chrome brass tube?

Users who are viewing this thread

Greenmountain

Reaction score
hi all,
I have a shower/valves/faucet combo that came with an antique clawfoot tub.
The shower is too tall... low ceilings :(
Can this stuff (chrome plated brass pipe?) be cut and re-threaded? diy, or maybe at a specialty shop?
I've done lots of black iron, but nothing like this.
shwr.jpg

shhandl.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know how you'd grip it enough to thread it. You could make some kind of chuck to grip it from the inside and try to thread it. Possibly you could thread it onto another sacrificial piece of pipe and grip that.

Greenmountain

Reaction score
the chrome shower pipe OD is roughly maybe 1/16" smaller than 1/2" iron, by my measurement.
maybe that helps account for the thinner wall material when cutting thread?

I can set the shower valve in a vice or crescent wrench. Since I need to shorten it, I could just use a pipe wrench to dissassemble, then cut off the end damaged by wrench.

Assuming then I can cut new thread, maybe could reassemble tightly enough just by hand, or maybe some sort of strap wrench, like an oil filter wrench, or a series of clamps holding the pipe to a bench? Anyone know how they do it at the factory?

The lower joint of shower valve will see full system pressure, but the joint above should be less... basically just back-pressure/resistance of the shower head (true?), so maybe that's the joint I should attempt to re-thread?

Also, I'm assuming that if the threads are the seal, then it would almost have to be npt, right? Is there another thread standard that it could be?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
the chrome shower pipe OD is roughly maybe 1/16" smaller than 1/2" iron, by my measurement.
maybe that helps account for the thinner wall material when cutting thread?

I can set the shower valve in a vice or crescent wrench. Since I need to shorten it, I could just use a pipe wrench to dissassemble, then cut off the end damaged by wrench.

Assuming then I can cut new thread, maybe could reassemble tightly enough just by hand, or maybe some sort of strap wrench, like an oil filter wrench, or a series of clamps holding the pipe to a bench? Anyone know how they do it at the factory?

The lower joint of shower valve will see full system pressure, but the joint above should be less... basically just back-pressure/resistance of the shower head (true?), so maybe that's the joint I should attempt to re-thread?

Also, I'm assuming that if the threads are the seal, then it would almost have to be npt, right? Is there another thread standard that it could be?
They chrome the tubes after they are threaded and smooth.

I have one is similar and I think it's npt. The shower head should be npt.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Being 1/16th " undersize seems unusual. If it wont fit now then its useless anyway try unscrewing or a little more research hate to do more harm than good. any luck with contacting manufacture? Maybe buy a new section ?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wondered if it could be 3/8 pipe ? I looked at Marlinman link it was a funny specification it says can be used for shower riser, non potable use only lol.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Consider cutting the pipe in an inconspicuous location and threading the inside so it can be rejoined with a close nipple, assuming one can be found that is the right size.

Reach4

Reaction score
Nominal 3/8 schedule 40 pipe is 0.675 inch OD. I don't know if the sizing of the 3/8 threaded chromed pipe is the same.

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
1656947492598.png

DETAILS
Enhance the character of your bath with the Wall Shower Set with Exposed Pipe Riser and Tub Filler. Set includes riser, one 10" wall brace, showerhead, diverter and spout.
  • "Hot" and "Cold" porcelain lever handles.
  • 1/4 turn ceramic discs.
  • 3-3/8" centers.
  • Set includes 3/8" IPS riser, one 10" wall brace, shower head, diverter and spout.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Decades ago I had to thread gold plated piping for an embassy

I took a piece of sheet lead 4 PSF and placed it over the pipe and placed it in a vice and slowly threaded it by hand

The lead was scratched but the gold plating was perfect

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nominal 3/8 schedule 40 pipe is 0.675 inch OD. I don't know if the sizing of the 3/8 threaded chromed pipe is the same.
3/8 pipe is 3/8 pipe chrome plate is pretty thin don't know what your looking for maybe its .680 ? .685 ? greenmountain said its "about " a 1/16 inch smaller than 1/2 inch pipe (indicating its certainly not 1/2 but 1/16 smaller is significantly larger than .675 so maybe it does have a sleeve? ) and I'll rely on what marlinman says to be 3/8 I was thinking it could be 3/8 pipe with thin full length plated brass sleeving but I never seen my Idea before I haven't worked on such exposed piping that much . I couldn't see any threads at all I thought the valve might be counter bored to receive a sleeve and it would hide threads. but I'm in no way convinced its made this way just a sort of guess it could be .

Greenmountain

Reaction score
the OD of the shower pipe is exactly 13/16" which is .8125
Looks like the npt standard OD for 1/2" pipe is .840
difference then is .0275, so less than 1/32 (.03125) but more than 1/64 (.015625)

(The 1/2" pipe I was comparing it to when I said it's about 1/16 smaller was an old piece of black iron pipe)

I can't find any brand or manufacturing markings on it anywhere.
It seems to be fairly high end... shower head and handles are ceramic, and it's heavy. The hot/cold valve/handle assembly weighs probably close to 10# by itself.

Don't remember exactly how old it's supposed to be... maybe 10+ years or so, and supposedly was over $1k when bought new.

There's a hex fitting of some sort in the base where the shower pipe attaches to the valve assembly, but I don't think taking that apart would gain me anything.

Given the cost of these things I'm hesitant to potentially completely ruin it if I can't re-thread it. Could maybe try to sell it...
Tempted to maybe just notch out the ceiling, make a small sort of reverse soffit box space, though that might look kinda weird:rolleyes:

20220702_142319.jpg
20220702_142410.jpg
20220702_142420.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Greenmountain

Reaction score
I just discovered that there's another pipe standard... CTS: copper tubing size
The OD of 5/8 CTS is 3/4.
Maybe it's a 5/8 CTS pipe plus 1/32 layer of chrome? would equal an OD of 13/16

Greenmountain

Reaction score
If it does happen to be 5/8 cts, any guess what the thread might be?
Does 5/8 NPT even exist?
Maybe SAE short taper pipe thread?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on where you live, you might be able to find a place that could rechrome the pipe after you cut and thread it. Since we don't really have chromed bumpers around, it isn't as common of a practice, but there are some places that still do that work. No idea what it might cost.

Reach4

Reaction score
I suggest a digital caliper. Click Inbox, above.

Greenmountain

Reaction score
Have a dial caliper, the 13/16 measurement is very accurate (prob +/- .005).
Not so worried about the chrome... I just don't know if I'll be able to get it threaded again if I take it apart and cut it.
Obviously it's possible since it is threaded, but also does not seem to be a standard pipe size, and no idea what the thread is...

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have a dial caliper, the 13/16 measurement is very accurate (prob +/- .005).
Not so worried about the chrome... I just don't know if I'll be able to get it threaded again if I take it apart and cut it.
Obviously it's possible since it is threaded, but also does not seem to be a standard pipe size, and no idea what the thread is...
If you take it apart you should be able to determine what you have without threading anything. Determine then thread.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks