Cut cast iron hub to transition to PVC

Users who are viewing this thread

PlumboutofNecessity

Reaction score
Is it allowed (UPC) to cut the hub off of a cast iron connection to transition to PVC or are you only allowed to transition from cast iron pipe? The picture indicates the part I want to cut off (the clean out that is circles in red) and then extend that whole pipe out using a 4"-4" Fernco transition piece (P3000-44).

Otherwise the amount of effort to remove this lead/oakum piece just doesn't seem like it is even worth the pain. But, if I'm allowed to cut off the fat part of this, it would be easier and less disruptive to get the job done as long as I am able to leave enough room for the Fernco adapter over the 4 inch part that remains.

Or do I remove the lead/oakum cleanout part and then use one of those rubber donut things or whatever to transition to PVC?

I appreciate the advice that this forum offers. It has helped me quite a bit in the past.

cast iron mark.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can't cut that there. You have to dig out the hub and find a doughnut.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can use a drill bit for the lead, they tend to snap while doing this, so don't bother with nice bits. And then a flat blade screwdriver to pry the rest of the lead out.

Can the back portion be cut and coupled too? Maybe. If you try that, Diablo makes some good cast iron sawzall blades.

PlumboutofNecessity

Reaction score
I ended up going through the agonizing labor of drilling out the cleanout. Although, it went better than expected, it is still a royal pain. It did consume two 1/4" drill bits. I also used a impact driver as a drill instead of a normal drill so that when it binds, it wouldn't twist my limbs and wrists off. Especially when being in such awkward and tight quarters. Additionally, the brushless drill paid for itself in this project: if anyone is wondering - they do live up to the hype of longer battery life (by far). After doing all that, it was still left with the full 3-bars of power and I didn't even start with freshly charged battery to begin with.

Honestly, the hardest part of this work was getting the 4" PVC seated into the doughnut that I put in the hub. This was like a life or death struggle for me.

As always, I appreciate all the advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks