Culligan High Efficiency Twin running out of capacity

Users who are viewing this thread

Bannerman

Reaction score
Municipal water hardness will often vary as the water is usually obtained from multiple sources, each having a different hardness amount. Due to water consumption patterns by the residents of the town, distribution system and well maintenance etc, water that might normally test @ 14.5 gpg at your location, may sometimes be significantly higher. To anticipate this variance, it is advisable to program the softener for 2-3 gpg higher than the test result.

Skyjumper

Reaction score
do you pay Culligan a monthly fee or do you own the system? how much did they charge you to move it the new house? I bet for the cost of the move you could've gotten a much better brand new system with new resin that actually works. moving an old softener to a new house is like paying to have used oil put in your car. yeah it might be serviceable for another 1k miles, but really?

if you are paying monthly I would stop immediately. get a real softener. and let them come pick up their equipment if they want it back for some reason. they are in breach of contract.

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont have a next button. Just up/down, "x" and, "check mark"
I honestly can't remember how to get into the program on that unit. it may be up, x, down, check, or up, check, down, x. sometimes they require you to be at 12:01 am or pm.

4running

Reaction score
Wanted to post a quick update:

After moving the hardness setting up, and reducing the amount of gallons that go through the softener, I have perfectly soft water from start to finish on each one of the tanks. Thanks so much for everyone helping.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
The one thing that most if not all over look when it comes to Twin Softeners.......... the Gallons Used for Cleaning....... it is NOT counted by the controls of any system but needs to be removed from the total gallons per tank.
IE......... Cap/Comp hardness = Gallons.... now if the gallons is 1500gallons and by adding up the backwash/brine draw/rapid rinse and brine refill equals 150 gallons then the gallons need to be changed to 1350 or even 1300 gallons.
This will keep the system in balance and soft water 24/7 with no break troughs.
Questions?

Bannerman

Reaction score
... the Gallons Used for Cleaning ... but needs to be removed from the total gallons per tank.
In most applications, the water used for regeneration in a twin tank, should not be subtracted from remaining gallons after regeneration.

When regenerating a single tank softener with hard water, the capacity consumed from the hardness in that water, is not normally subtracted from regenerated capacity.

Although the water to regenerate a twin is soft water supplied by the alternate tank, soft water will not consume capacity. The total resulting capacity regenerated by a quantity of salt while using soft water, will be greater than the capacity regenerated while using hard water. Any possible gallons capacity lost by regenerating the alternate tank in a twin, will be offset by the additional capacity that is regenerated.

See post #16: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/fleck-9100-sxt-programming-settings.60651/

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
The one thing that most if not all over look when it comes to Twin Softeners.......... the Gallons Used for Cleaning....... it is NOT counted by the controls of any system but needs to be removed from the total gallons per tank.
IE......... Cap/Comp hardness = Gallons.... now if the gallons is 1500gallons and by adding up the backwash/brine draw/rapid rinse and brine refill equals 150 gallons then the gallons need to be changed to 1350 or even 1300 gallons.
This will keep the system in balance and soft water 24/7 with no break troughs.
Questions?
Something to think about. I know the brine fill is from softened water, but I would think the backwash water would be hard water, and the non-brine flow through the injector/eductor would be hard water, wouldn't it be?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
And yet at the end of page 10 and start of page 11 of the Fleck/Pantair Manual for the 9000-9100 and 9500 it talks about how to set the meter taking into account the gallons used. For 30 years I have done this and NEVER had challenge with a twin, only challenge I have is when I find that twin was NOT set up with the cleaning gallons removed to the cap..
Now if you would like to through that part under the bus ,, fine by me not my challenge.

Reach4

Reaction score
And yet at the end of page 10 and start of page 11 of the Fleck/Pantair Manual for the 9000-9100 and 9500 it talks about how to set the meter taking into account the gallons used. For 30 years I have done this and NEVER had challenge with a twin, only challenge I have is when I find that twin was NOT set up with the cleaning gallons removed to the cap..
It's also on page 5 of this one:
FLECK 9000/9100/9500 SERVICE MANUAL
40944 REV H

There it is! regen, including backwash water, comes from soft water of the new tank.

So in cases where you will be getting more than a day per tank, it will be good to not choose immediate regneration of the SXT control, but instead choose a time, for noise considerations, you could also prefer to have regen not correspond to your high soft water usage.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I briefly read through this chain and I think some people are overthinking it. My thoughts.
Soft water regen, take away the capacity from the other tank... really? In 95% of applications we program in plenty of fudge factor to accommodate the miniscule amount of water that is used for regeneration. Most companies have been cutting back the cycle times from the old school 10 minute BW and RR to just a few minutes for water conservation. The long term affects on the resin bed is virtually incalculable since in residential applications so little water is even being used. Unless you are programming your system with absolute 100% efficiency and testing your incoming hardness daily, then the couple extra grains you program in to accommodate for seasonal water changes should take care of this usage in most applications. Now in areas where you are sitting at 100 GPG raw water, a backwash could take away some amount of the systems capacity and that likely should be considered in the calculations, or greatly reduce the BW and RR times. Another item that is being missed is that on single tank systems, do we take away the slow rinse and RR capacity from the capacity? We do not typically do this unless we have extremely high hardness. Just something to think about.

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
I briefly read through this chain and I think some people are overthinking it. My thoughts.
Soft water regen, take away the capacity from the other tank... really? In 95% of applications we program in plenty of fudge factor to accommodate the miniscule amount of water that is used for regeneration. Most companies have been cutting back the cycle times from the old school 10 minute BW and RR to just a few minutes for water conservation. The long term affects on the resin bed is virtually incalculable since in residential applications so little water is even being used. Unless you are programming your system with absolute 100% efficiency and testing your incoming hardness daily, then the couple extra grains you program in to accommodate for seasonal water changes should take care of this usage in most applications. Now in areas where you are sitting at 100 GPG raw water, a backwash could take away some amount of the systems capacity and that likely should be considered in the calculations, or greatly reduce the BW and RR times. Another item that is being missed is that on single tank systems, do we take away the slow rinse and RR capacity from the capacity? We do not typically do this unless we have extremely high hardness. Just something to think about.
I agree. 50 gal for regen in a residential application is inconsequential, as most treatment professionals program conservatively because water quality can change (especially well water).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks