Covering a sump pump pit

Users who are viewing this thread

MustangMan04

Reaction score
I covered my sump pump pit with a radon cover. I have a walk out basement and there is trench drain in front of the door to keep water out of the basement. This trench drain is connected to my sump pump pit. My question is do i need to have a vent for the sump pump pit with that cover on?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We don't deal with it much in our area but I recall working on a site where we did install passive pipe under the slab that was piped up through the roof.

But from reading a bit just now about radon reduction, it appears that a lot of systems rely on a fan drawing air from the sump up through the roof to disperse it from your living area. Not sure if it would disperse naturally through your trench drain.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
My question is do i need to have a vent for the sump pump pit with that cover on?
Yes, if you have a sealed pit a vent is required.

However I would think that having an open trench drain connected to the sump pit would kind of defeat the purpose of the radon cover.

-rick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks