Convert fleck 5600 to filter? Can I?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lefebvres090428

Reaction score
I currently have a 5600 with a white end assembly. It looks like I need a black end assembly for a backwashing carbon filter. Is this something the unit can convert to do? Any one know where I can find info on what and how to replace what parts?

Reach4

Reaction score
You can make a filter from a softener without changing the piston, but you will have to determine what to do with the brine draw cycle. Do you block off the brine line connection, or do you suck up a chlorine solution? Blocking off would be the common thing.

You would change the DLFC to set the backwash. I think 5 gpm would be OK for a 10 inch tank.
You would need to put in a bigger DLFC.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Which 5600 version do you currently own?

The digital controller models (SE & SXT) permit each of the various program settings to be modified so softener functions not needed for a filter maybe shut-off or at least the timing duration may be minimized. With the 5600 mechanical models (Time Clock & Econominder), each of the softener functions will continue to run for the entire duration each cycle since the majority of the control valve's programming is not modifiable.

Lefebvres090428

Reaction score
You can make a filter from a softener without changing the piston, but you will have to determine what to do with the brine draw cycle. Do you block off the brine line connection, or do you suck up a chlorine solution? Blocking off would be the common thing.

You would change the DLFC to set the backwash. I think 5 gpm would be OK for a 10 inch tank.
You would need to put in a bigger DLFC.
Thank you for the post. What you say goes hand in hand with what else I was able to find. In searching around today I found another great source for some help. Softenerparts.com great help videos and parts. Agrees that piston change not required and rec pulling brine valve and plugging.
I am swapping to the filter piston since the valve is old and I am replacing seals anyway.

Lefebvres090428

Reaction score
Which 5600 version do you currently own?

The digital controller models (SE & SXT) permit each of the various program settings to be modified so softener functions not needed for a filter maybe shut-off or at least the timing duration may be minimized. With the 5600 mechanical models (Time Clock & Econominder), each of the softener functions will continue to run for the entire duration each cycle since the majority of the control valve's programming is not modifiable.
It is the mechanical 5600. Would be too easy if I would have found a free sxt model!

Lefebvres090428

Reaction score
I am pretty sure you would need more than a piston change. I don't know what.
It looks like piston change (not required but aids in proper backwash time), plug brine line, remove brine valve and cap hole where valve was, swap drain flow button, add top diffuser, remove screen, ejector and throat and replace with filter ejector. Excellent reference and help from Andrew at softnerparts.com

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks