Confusing Valve and supply line Nomenclature

Users who are viewing this thread

Onespeedbiker

Reaction score
I am having installed a Roman style bathtub faucet. I have ordered the rough and cover kits. Now I want to get the shutoff valves and supply lines. Currently there are 1/2 copper pipes with compression rings and the rough kit is also 1/2" copper. I would like to maintain 1/2" ID but I am confused by the valve and supply line nomenclature. I understand that 1/2 NOM In with valve means it will attach to the 1/2" copper, but what would be the nomenclature for the supply line out to maintain 1/2" ID and the supply line to connect to 1/2 copper at the faucet line?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1/2" NOM is OD, I see very few of those stops. We used to use those on dishwashers in the 70's.
1/2" copper pipe is 5/8" OD with 1/2" ID

What brand and model of valve do you have?

supply-line-sizes-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
"Nominal"means what you call/name it. So there can be different things that are nominally 1/2 inch. "1/2 inch" copper is 5/8 inch OD. 1/2 inch tubing is 1/2 inch OD.

May I suggest a digital caliper to help identify what you have?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"nom" means approximate ,i.d., OR, what it "is called". 1/2" nom refers to 1/2" copper, 1.2" steel and brass, CPVC and PVC, BUT ALL OD THESE have different actual i.ds

Reach4

Reaction score
"nom" means approximate ,i.d., OR, what it "is called". 1/2" nom refers to 1/2" copper, 1.2" steel and brass, CPVC and PVC, BUT ALL OD THESE have different actual i.ds
Schedule 40 1 inch refers to more like its ID and 1-1/2 slip joint or 3/8 tubing relates to OD.

1/2 inch compression and 5/8 compression are usually the same thing.

supply-line-sizes-terrylove-01.jpg

I like my description, but I understand there are different ways of looking at it. I think the word nominal derives from the same root as name. A name is what you call it.

In https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nominal your way is like https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nominal definition 3b. Strong support for your view and specifically mentions pipe. But I think of it as only loosely related to an actual size. My view is like definition 2a.

But I still think that 1 inch pex or 1 inch schedule 40 or 1 inch tubing or 1 inch compression thread or 1 inch SIDR pipe is really more of a name than an approximation. Yet the derivation of those names were based on approximate size.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is a little confusing but nominal 1/2 inch copper is 5/8 od just like nominal 3 inch DWV pipe is 3.5 inch od. In my Area all the pipefitters call copper tube out by OD (most of the time) but a plumber never does and you can tell on the job if its a plumber or fitter you work with that way.
I prefer no supply lines sweated copper all the way to the valve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks