Composite Vs. Stainless Over mount Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't have issues installing drains on stainless sinks. The key is to limit how much putty is used, excess needs to be able to squeeze out or it will continue to loosen in a bit. I tighten several times, shifting to other things that I'm working on around the install, letting the putty squeeze out until it's a done deal. Works for me.
With a cast iron sink, I use more putty because of the depth of the hole I'm dropping the drain in.
With composite, each sink is different. Maybe less and maybe more. More often less.
I've had it where you tighten the drain and the threads come loose. Kind of like tightening a nut past the shoulder of a bolt. Probably a better quality drain would work better.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There are several types of baskets where thread depth isn't an issue.

The Jomar Snap N Lock is one.

snap-n-lock.jpg

The Twist-N-Lock is harder to spin tight.

jomar-baskets.jpg

Tim3131

Reaction score
Consumer Reports doesn't mention the Blanco composite in their reviews. Maybe too old of an article. Found a bunch more reviews with staining / dulling issues. And Elaborate cleaning regimes. Who dries their sink after each use?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Blanco Cleaning Instructions. Includes Drying

Elkay Stainless Steel Instructions. Includes Drying. Elkay also makes composite sinks FYI

Likely the drying instruction is simply CYA.. We've installed a LOT of Blanco sinks in a wide variety of colors and I've never had a customer complain about discoloration or anything. And my contractor that I do the most work for has a 5yr warranty on all remodel projects. I would hear about it if there were any issues with the sinks.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not exactly on topic but one of my customers chipped their Blanco composite sink divider with heavy pans. The customer called blanco to see if there were any repair options and without even being asked Blanco offered to send them a new replacement at no charge. Because of the way the sink was installed by the remodel contractor I was able to remove the sink and have it reinstalled in under 2hrs. The sink has wood blocking installed that the sink rests on that can be unscrewed from each of the adjoining cabinets. In this case we only had to remove the block on the left side and slide it out from the other.

1696627563194.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks