Combining T@P piping, Single family

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve Sorensen

In the Trades
Reaction score
We recently installed a boiler and hydronic heat system in a new home, and our installer combined the 3/4" T & P piping from the boiler and the hot water tank into a single 1" line to drain. He said that was ok since he was upping the size of the pipe to 1", but our inspector said that is only ok in multi family structures.

Does anyone have experience with this? I would love to show the inspector verbiage from the UPC stating this is ok in single family residences, but I'm no expert on the UPC. I've worked with this installer plenty, and he is very experienced. Also, I know everyone makes mistakes... Either way I would love some clarification one way or the other.

Thanks!
Steve

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can check out this link.

https://www.caphcc.org/2015-upc-code-update-water-supply-and-distribution-discharge-piping/

Check out 6

3. Discharge pipe shall discharge independently by gravity through an air gap into the drainage system or outside of the building with the end of the pipe not exceeding 2 feet (610 mm) and not less than 6 inches (152 mm) above the ground and pointing downwards.

Independently.
I have combined reliefs on multi-family condos and apartments with the inspectors OK. I hadn't really thought about it on single family. It's pretty common to tie reliefs from two water heaters, but then those aren't boilers either.

Steve Sorensen

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can check out this link.

https://www.caphcc.org/2015-upc-code-update-water-supply-and-distribution-discharge-piping/

Check out 6

3. Discharge pipe shall discharge independently by gravity through an air gap into the drainage system or outside of the building with the end of the pipe not exceeding 2 feet (610 mm) and not less than 6 inches (152 mm) above the ground and pointing downwards.

Independently.
I have combined reliefs on multi-family condos and apartments with the inspectors OK. I hadn't really thought about it on single family. It's pretty common to tie reliefs from two water heaters, but then those aren't boilers either.

Hi Terry,

Thank you for the quick response! That seems pretty clear to me. I will let our installer know that he will have to stop grumbling about the inspector.

Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks