Cold temps, lost water, lost pressure at well

Users who are viewing this thread

JnE2016

Reaction score
Troubleshooting the pressure switch with a voltmeter /multimeter is easy.

What is the water pressure? I presume about zero.
What is the AC voltage between terminals 1 and 4 of the pressure switch?
What is the AC voltage between terminals 2 and 3 of the pressure switch?
The voltage was 250 on multimeter before I blew it up like I said before, which is what I told him but he said when he was flicking it there wasant as much spark as there should be..

Which didn't make since voltage was fine right? Or would a faulty box mess with that. It's snowing again but I'm heading into town and gonna look for amp clamp new meter and maybe a switch it they have them at ziggys of something

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you saying that the pressure switch has been physically blown up, so there is no troubleshooting needed to see that will need replacing?

JnE2016

Reaction score
Np pressure switch didn't blow I'm still at correct volts. Between my suv breaking my only other vehicle on and off breaking
I finally found a store that had a amp clamp meter, I'm not sure I'm using it right I tried to get readings and couldn't get any I disconnected each wire from the pressure switch individually and got nothing. am I just not testing to correct wires?
When I tried the main insulated wire coming from the switch it read very low but I assume that's because there's multiple wires going through it.
Are you saying that the pressure switch has been physically blown up, so there is no troubleshooting needed to see that will need replacing?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
An amp meter just clips around either one of the hot wires at the pressure switch, breaker, or control box. You don't disconnect any wires to use a AC amp meter. Just clip it around one individual wire and open a faucet so the pump comes on.

JnE2016

Reaction score
An amp meter just clips around either one of the hot wires at the pressure switch, breaker, or control box. You don't disconnect any wires to use a AC amp meter. Just clip it around one individual wire and open a faucet so the pump comes on.
Okay so I was able to pull enough wire loose to fit the clamp around them and I'm reading 9.97 amps

Reach4

Reaction score
We know the problem is not a broken wire or a bad connection.

To make more inference from the 9.97 amps, we would want to know the HP of the pump. Is there a control box? Does the power from the pressure switch head right down the well, or does that go to a control box? That would typically be on a wall, but not necessarily. There is not a control box in your photo.

JnE2016

Reaction score
We know the problem is not a broken wire or a bad connection.

To make more inference from the 9.97 amps, we would want to know the HP of the pump. Is there a control box? Does the power from the pressure switch head right down the well, or does that go to a control box? That would typically be on a wall, but not necessarily. There is not a control box in your photo.
Yes it's Franklin qd box 1hp on the wall looks like the sides are going to it from the switch

JnE2016

Reaction score
9 amps is full flow for a 1hp. Pump got hot. Melted pipe and pump fell off. Hanging by the wire most likely.
So if it's hanging by the wire how would I fix it? No one can get out here with are snow and driveway situation. Just been melting snow for what seems like forever.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I am so sorry for your problem. We are so spoiled to water just coming out of the faucets when we open them that there are few things worse than being out of water. No easy fix I am afraid. The pump will need to be pulled, and if necessary pulled by the wire. It could be worse as it seems the pump is fine. Many times letting the pump run while the well head is froze will destroy the pump. Believe it or not the pipe coming apart is probably what saved the pump. But of course even though the pump is good, the pump guys will want to sell you a new one once they have gone to the trouble of getting the old one out. For this reason and all the other problems you are having many people end up just doing it themselves.

JnE2016

Reaction score
I am so sorry for your problem. We are so spoiled to water just coming out of the faucets when we open them that there are few things worse than being out of water. No easy fix I am afraid. The pump will need to be pulled, and if necessary pulled by the wire. It could be worse as it seems the pump is fine. Many times letting the pump run while the well head is froze will destroy the pump. Believe it or not the pipe coming apart is probably what saved the pump. But of course even though the pump is good, the pump guys will want to sell you a new one once they have gone to the trouble of getting the old one out. For this reason and all the other problems you are having many people end up just doing it themselves.
so would I just end up pulling the cap off the well and start pulling up what ever wire is going down the well? Or is there something else that I would pull just want to know what to do since haven never done anything like this.
Thank you for all the help.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Don't know what kind of well cap you have? A picture would help. A "cap" would probably mean you have a pitless adapter, which should not have frozen. A well seal has the pipe attached to the pump coming up through the middle and you pull the pipe and well seal at the same time. You want to pull the pipe and wire together as long as you can. But at some point when you cut the ties or tape holding the wire to the pipe, the pump will try to fall as that was all that was holding it up. So, hang onto the wire as you pull everything out and don't let it fly back into the well when you cut the ties. If it comes loose, pull the pipe out first and then gently pull the pump out with the wires.

JnE2016

Reaction score
Well for weeks been trying to get a plumber to even answer a damn phone finally got one to answer and he said sounds like a crack if getting correct amperage. At $200hr just wanting suggestion if that sounds like what the problem could be

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Well for weeks been trying to get a plumber to even answer a damn phone finally got one to answer and he said sounds like a crack if getting correct amperage. At $200hr just wanting suggestion if that sounds like what the problem could be
When the plastic pipe gets hot it either splits or comes loose from the pump. I don't know about 200 bucks an hour but somebody is going to have to fix it. I will wave my magic wand for you anyway, but I doubt it still works. Lol!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks