Code for gas pipe fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

Meanmetz

Reaction score
New york, Long Island. What is code for gas pipe fittings. I am told close nipples,bushings,street L's are not to code. NY plumbing codes does not seem to state this. I can understand these fittings can be weaker and stree L's restrictive. I always see street L's used by National Grid at meters. Just Like to put this question to rest

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
New york, Long Island. What is code for gas pipe fittings. I am told close nipples,bushings,street L's are not to code. NY plumbing codes does not seem to state this. I can understand these fittings can be weaker and stree L's restrictive. I always see street L's used by National Grid at meters. Just Like to put this question to rest
Not sure about this especially when it comes to NYC particulars, but the are some fittings that aren't allowed to be used when it comes to cast iron. The "bushings aren't allowed" myth I think comes from the fact that you can't use cast iron bushings because they can split easily.

Street 90's can be hard to grip and torque properly and close nipples can't really be gripped once installed. Those fittings are normally avoided but not illegal. But NYC could have rules against them. I've heard sediment traps are illegal in some cities because people take them apart and steal gas through them, which has lead to some deaths.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks