City Water Test Results: Need Water Softener

Users who are viewing this thread

CLH

Reaction score
I am attaching the city water test results. The water is not horrible but I do see build up on the shower heads, etc. I really prefer to have softened water. Are these results enough to go on? https://www.rwu.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/CCR20-Rogers-055.pdf

I will have a plumber do the installation. Most plumber in this area a pitching me a cabinet setup and that's not going to cut it. I am not interested in the name brand sales pitch models. I would like to have the basic tank, control, Fleck or Clack and brine tank set up, perhaps with a sediment filter prior with a clear housing. This forum steered me to that combination years ago and it just works. Now in new state so starting from scratch. Thanks a bunch.

Reach4

Reaction score
Not enough-- the main number you need is hardness. Call the water people and ask. You don't want the average hardness, but the range or the max.

You may want to order a Hach 5-B test, and you could test the hardness yourself. The test will also be useful to measure hardness breakthrough in your soft water.

So number of people will also play a factor in softener choice. You will want 10% crosslinked resin for sure.

CLH

Reaction score
Not enough-- the main number you need is hardness. Call the water people and ask. You don't want the average hardness, but the range or the max.

You may want to order a Hach 5-B test, and you could test the hardness yourself. The test will also be useful to measure hardness breakthrough in your soft water.

So number of people will also play a factor in softener choice. You will want 10% crosslinked resin for sure.
Thank you Reach4. I will call the city water dept. I will get the Hach test also to comfirm for my house also. This house is just for me but it does have 4 bedrooms, and I have an occasional guest(s). Will post city results asap and HACH when I get the test sent and results returned.

CLH

Reaction score
Ok finally I have moved in. I called the water dept., long discussion, and learned that the hardness is 9. The house has 3 bathroom, one of which the master has a very large tub and a separate shower with 2 shower heads and 3 double body sprays. The fixtures have visible crusting on them; some I cannot adjust because they are so stuck. I want a water softener.

I am the only one living in this house, with only occasional guests: this is what has been proposed.
https://www.pentair.com/en-us/water...ts/water-softeners/water-softeners.35921.html
The SKU is 35921.
This shows the specs for the 35921.
I have read I need 2.0 cf resin, this shows 1.5. Do I need to get the larger one? It mentions gel resin, I have read I want cross linked, a certain percentage and do not see that information listed here.
I cannot tell which controller this is. I believe it is Fleck but not sure and not sure which one.
I am planning on getting a simple sediment filter, I was thinking getting a clear casing so I would watch to see if the timed schedule for replacing was accurate or not.
I am not getting a 2 tank set up with the carbon filtering which is being suggested.
The water tastes OK not the greatest and no smell.

There is not a lot of detail about what makes up these Pentair systems. I appreciate the knowledge here and look forward to the advice.

Christine

Reach4

Reaction score
I would go with a 1 or 1.5 cuft softener. I would tend toward the Fleck 5600SXT. You want 10% crosslinked resin, and you want gravel.

2 cuft for one person most of the time and 9 or 10 grains of hardness is overkill. With 18 grains of hardness, 2 cuft would be overkill IMO.

It is still good to get the Hach test, even if you are mainly going to use it on the softened water to make sure things are working as they should.

CLH

Reaction score
I would go with a 1 or 1.5 cuft softener. I would tend toward the Fleck 5600SXT. You want 10% crosslinked resin, and you want gravel.

2 cuft for one person most of the time and 9 or 10 grains of hardness is overkill. With 18 grains of hardness, 2 cuft would be overkill IMO.

It is still good to get the Hach test, even if you are mainly going to use it on the softened water to make sure things are working as they should.
Ok so what they are recommending will work?

I don't know how to tell what that resin is. And do I just ask them for the Fleck 5600SXT? Just finding a company that will put in this kind of softener is difficult, all most of the companies around here put in those cabinet things.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Run away from the softener you linked, it is an old Erie 2000. Are you planning on installing the system yourself?

CLH

Reaction score
Run away from the softener you linked, it is an old Erie 2000. Are you planning on installing the system yourself?
I am not installing this myself, I don't have the knowledge, skill, strength to install this. I am trying to find a plumber that will supply and install a water softener. I was under the impression that Pentair was using Fleck controls. While I am only 1 person living here with occasional guests, the house has 3.5 baths, 5 bedrooms, and is designed for a family of up to 6. I wondered about up sizing the system for that. I intend to stay here for 10+ years. All I want is a simple softener, with a Fleck controller, and a simple sediment filter. All the plumbers I have talked with want to do the cabinet style, this is the first plumber that has the softening tank, controller, and brine tank. Most people here do not put in softeners and do not see the need. I have bronze faucets and shower fixtures so I see the build up, if they have chrome they do not. I don't want that build up in my dishwasher, tankless hot water heater, washer, etc. So what do I do? Where do I buy it, do I just go online, and then just hire a plumber to install? I was trying to get a plumber to supply and install. I am in the Bentonville/Rogers Arkansas area so if anyone has a referral please contact me.

Christine

Reach4

Reaction score
I took a look, and did not see much in your area. See if a local plumber will plumb it in if you get the equipment shipped. Decide if you can do the programming so he won't need to learn the part he is not familiar with.

For the ones you named, input will be on the right as you face the unit.

It would be best if you got your softener pre-loaded with resin and gravel.

You might change your forum location info. There is a Bentonville TX also.

CLH

Reaction score
I took a look, and did not see much in your area. See if a local plumber will plumb it in if you get the equipment shipped. Decide if you can do the programming so he won't need to learn the part he is not familiar with.

For the ones you named, input will be on the right as you face the unit.

It would be best if you got your softener pre-loaded with resin and gravel.

You might change your forum location info. There is a Bentonville TX also.
Thanks for the heads u on the location, I changed it. I'm thinking of doing as you suggest and just getting the equipment. Finding someone to do the install now that's another issue.

CLH

Reaction score
No I am not installing this myself. I will be hiring a plumber to install everything. do you have a suggestion where I can purchase a water softener that will fit my needs?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks