City of Chicago Plumbing Code - Clay Sewer Pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Elisa B

Reaction score
Hi -- I'm on the board of a condo association (a 6 flat in Chicago). The building was built in 2012 and we are experiencing extensive sewer issues -- we were told that the pipes installed in 2012 to connect our building to the city's main line were "clay" pipes, they are now replacing a long stretch with cast iron pipes. It seems crazy that the pipes have deteriorated in this short time (one of the pipes has collapsed). Does anyone know if clay pipes are "up to code" in Chicago? Thank you!

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know if they are up to code, but it would sure be good to convert to PVC as part of the project. Lead water supply pipes were up to code way after they should have been. It is pretty much a given that tree roots will get into clay pipes.

If converting to PVC, I would opt for the heavier schedule 40 rather than the thinner. Add outside cleanouts while you are at it if you take on the project. I am not a plumber or other pro.

If you are wondering if you could establish liability, then the question would be if the clay was up to code in 2012... which I don't know either.

Elisa B

Reaction score
I don't know if they are up to code, but it would sure be good to convert to PVC as part of the project. Lead water supply pipes were up to code way after they should have been. It is pretty much a given that tree roots will get into clay pipes.

If converting to PVC, I would opt for the heavier schedule 40 rather than the thinner. Add outside cleanouts while you are at it if you take on the project. I am not a plumber or other pro.

If you are wondering if you could establish liability, then the question would be if the clay was up to code in 2012... which I don't know either.
Thank you very much! Unfortunately, I have learned that the City of Chicago prohibits PVC for underground sewer lines.

Elisa B

Reaction score
I cannot image clay pipes still being used in 2012.
I know or pipes deteriorating in 7 years. We are trying to assess whether we have any avenue for recourse, but of course, it's not like we can wait on repairs. It's put us in an unfortunate situation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks