Chain and rusted clamps on drop pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Charrie

Reaction score
Hi All,
The clamps at the top holding the drop pipe to the first fitting are rusted pretty bad. Can I replace them one at a time and where do I find stainless clamps? Also if the upper clamps are rusted, what about the clamps at the pump itself? Is the pump in danger of falling off the pipe?
There is a ring attached to a small chain coming out of one of the holes in the well cap. i am guessing the chain may be attached to the pump like a safety rope? Do these chains ever rust into? I tugged on the chain a little and it does not feel stretchy like it might be attached to a rope, it's pretty tight and solid.
Below is a couple of pics from before we replaced the old cover. If you notice the ring is welded closed which i find interesting and would mean that if the chain does support the pump, then it was measured and installed with the drop pipe and wire.

What are you guys thoughts and recommendations on this?
I also need to shock the well and don't know how to run the water back into the well from the boiler drain since both access holes are used. One with the chain and the other the electrical wire.
34pipe1.jpg

WP_20181021_012.jpg

WP_20181021_011.jpg

Thanks
Charrie

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I see that a lot with hose clamps. Even all stainless will rust. $00 series stainless is needed for things like screws, but 400 series stainless will rust. I just wrap over the hose clamps with electric tape and that seems to prevent the screw from rusting. I do the same thing for the clamp at the pump. But it is under water, doesn't get as much oxygen, and shouldn't be quite as bad.

Never seen a chain used to hold up the pump. Even a rope or cable cable has a chance of falling in the well and wedging your pump stuck in the hole. If that chain rust out or comes loose it will be even worse. The pipe is strong enough to hold the pump by itself. If the pipe does come lose, there is a good chance of pulling the pump by the wire. But nothing will get that pump out if a chain, rope, or cable falls in there. Never put anything in a well that isn't absolutely necessary.

And yes, that chain is in the way of being able to pour chlorine down the well. Which chorine down the well will make things rust even more. Might not be good for the chain and the un-taped hose clamps at the bottom.

Charrie

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Valveman. I'll try replacing the upper clamps one at a time being careful not to move things around much.

I don't know if you can tell from the pics or not but the drop pipe is only 3/4" poly pipe. In all of the articles I have read learning about wells, I have never read of anyone suing 3/4" poly pipe but I never had a well till this one. Well except growing up as a child we had a 36" round and 36' deep hand dug well that you dropped a bucket into.

I had wondered if the chain could be be just a short piece that has a cable or rope clamped to it. That is why I mentioned there is no stretch when tugging on it. A cable wouldn't stretch either though I agree and understand what you are saying about if the chain rusts into or were to break, would definitely cause a serious issue.

What do you recommend then since I need to shock the well? would it be acceptable to use a hole saw and cut a hole in the PVC casing just below the cap and try to thread it in order to install a threaded in hose fitting that can be capped off? I do have a ridged hand tap and die set for 1/2 and 3/4. I don't know if the tap could be heated enough to cut some threads in the PVC without damaging the tap though.

Is there anything else that can be used to disinfect a well besides chlorine?

Thanks
Charrie

Reach4

Reaction score
I would probably find some brass tubing that could barely coexist through the hole with the chain. Then couple that to something bigger. Not ideal. It would be slow very slow to recirculate, and would take a really long time to inject the flooding volume.

K&S 5076 Brass Bendable Tube 3/16", 7/32", & 1/4" x 0.014" Wall x 12" Long, 1 Piece Each,

I am not going to recommend drilling into the casing, but if I did, I would be using something other than a garden hose thread fitting. Maybe 1/2 inch NPT.

These clamps claim to be all 305 and 301 stainless: https://www.plumbingsupply.com/clamps.html

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks