Can't find small leak in new bathroom sink faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I installed a new bathroom faucet and new PVC p-trap to drain pipe. Hand tightened everything. There seems to be a small leak somewhere but I can't see anything even when I run the water for several minutes.

But after a while, after the faucet is turned off, I will find a few drops of water below the faucet.

I have checked all of my connections and tried to tighten them more but there is no play via hand tightening. I also tried to tighten the nut that holds the gasket.

Everything I've read says over -tightening the PVC nuts can result in breaking the seal so I'm trying to avoid that.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
But after a while, after the faucet is turned off, I will find a few drops of water below the faucet.
That's as close as you can get? I am not even sure you are talking about water appearing a place under the sink, although that sound probable.

Or maybe you are saying that water appears on the bottom of the cabinet, which is why you are mentioning the drain.

So isolate where the water is coming from. You could tape Kleenex around the supply lines, as high as practical, to see if water was coming down the outside of a supply line.

You could also turn off the cold stop valve for a while, to see if that makes the leaking stop. If the leaking continues, turn on the cold, and turn off the hot, and watch again.

Did you use any PTFE (Teflon) tape during your install, and if so, where?

JerryR

Reaction score
Small drips like that can be hard to find.
I use either a piece of brown cardboard or a brown paper bag and lay it flat on the cabinet floor. Inspect occasionally for drips on the paper. The brown paper will make it easy to see where drips fell. Then look up from there and feel for wet.

my last leak like that was the nut that attaches the arm to the tailpipe that raises the drain stopper was loose.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If a little weep of water is working around the threads or the compression ring, after a few day the minerals in the water will fill in the leak. Another is when water is not in use, the pressure can get fairly high as the water is heated and expands. I suspect the fittings from the stop valve to the faucet is where to look. With water running it probably will not leak.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. The brown kraft paper trick is great. I was able to determine that leak was coming from above the quick connect that connects the hot and cold water lines to the faucet (Yellow area in diagram). Since there is nothing I can access in the main body is it safe to assume it's a defect and take it back?

Nick's faucet.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks