Canadian plumbing code -3 or 4" main

Users who are viewing this thread

JayGSmi

Reaction score
I have two questions.
1. We are building a detached suite with full bath/kitchen etc. The main sewer is 3" ABS. this is plenty per code, however, the inspector has told me that it needs to change to 4" where it leaves the building. I'm just wondering if this is true where we are connecting the sewer to the main 4" line in the crawlspace of the house. I was thinking it would be fine to run a 3" line into the house and connect to the existing 4" main.

2. What is the best practice for connecting ABS (3 or 4") to the 4" cast iron? I've seen some adapters ideally I'd find a 3-4-4 wye where one the 3" wye is the new suite and the 4" is a clean out and the other 4" is an abs to cast iron adapter.. does this exist if I ask for it a plumbing supply? what is it actually called?

Thanks

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
1) The British Columbia plumbing code is available here: https://www.bcpublications.ca/BCPublications/

I'm not familiar with the layout of this code, but Division B 2.4.9.4 says:

Size of Building Drain and Building Sewer 1) Building drains and building sewers connected to the public sewer system downstream of the main cleanout (see Sentence 2.4.7.1.(6)) shall be not less than 4 inches in size.

2) A connector for ABS to cast iron would be a simple coupling. The wye portion would be ABS or cast iron, as desired. The style of connector would depend on whether it is underground (may be ~4" long, shield is optional, 2 or 4 band clamps) or above ground (~ 2" long, with a metal shield, 2 band clamps).

Cheers, Wayne

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Same thing here in Iowa. We have to have 4"leaving the house so there's a standard size leading in the public sewer system.

P. S. It doesn't really matter if what the inspector told you was true or not since he's really the authority for your area, you kinda gotta do what he wants. Unless you really like fighting.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Same thing here in Iowa. We have to have 4"leaving the house so there's a standard size leading in the public sewer system.

P. S. It doesn't really matter if what the inspector told you was true or not since he's really the authority for your area, you kinda gotta do what he wants. Unless you really like fighting.
No fighting with the inspector. :)

Where I'm at we stubbed out with 3" and the sewer was 4" right outside the footing.
4" if you have a four bathroom home.
But also ever place is different, so changing to 4" before it leaves the foundation should be an easy fix.

JayGSmi

Reaction score
1) The British Columbia plumbing code is available here: https://www.bcpublications.ca/BCPublications/

I'm not familiar with the layout of this code, but Division B 2.4.9.4 says:

Size of Building Drain and Building Sewer 1) Building drains and building sewers connected to the public sewer system downstream of the main cleanout (see Sentence 2.4.7.1.(6)) shall be not less than 4 inches in size.

2) A connector for ABS to cast iron would be a simple coupling. The wye portion would be ABS or cast iron, as desired. The style of connector would depend on whether it is underground (may be ~4" long, shield is optional, 2 or 4 band clamps) or above ground (~ 2" long, with a metal shield, 2 band clamps).

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks Wayne. So I did read this portion, but what seems debatable to me is that this building is connecting to another building (the main house) not the city sewer.

Its not even worth getting into it with the inspector and will just buy the 4" pipe.. I have 3" stubbed out of the foundation and he told me to just change to 4" at the clean out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks