Can I get some cartridge ID help? And advice…

Users who are viewing this thread

KnowsNothinng

Reaction score
Good morning all,

I have a dripping shower spout. I can’t seem to id what cartridge it takes. It doesn’t have any sort of branding on it anywhere. And I’m not positive of how to pull this one out. Others I have done are just directly in the valve body but this one has that threaded collar like thing so I’m not sure if it’s just stuck good or need to be removed fully to get it out. From what I can find it appears to be some type of generic rebranded thing and looks like Danco makes something similar looking for a replacement. I watched one video that was talking about various cartridges and he had one that looked exactly like it and said it was in the Gerber/Danze family. This thing came from either Home Depot or Lowes. I know it was bought local and went to the supply houses and none of them carried anything like it and haven’t. So any help on the id and removal would be awesome. Of course after I started to monkey with it the leak got a bit worse so I’d prefer to just figure out what I have before anymore tinkering. Thanks for any input!

image.jpg
910344D8-AD3D-4337-8332-29AA8A855B82.jpeg

knowsnothing-01.jpg

Video added by Terry Love

premier-two-cartridges.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

KnowsNothinng

Reaction score
I should have added that video thanks! That’s the one I was watching. I was so flustered at the time didn’t think about it. So from the looks of it there is basically only 1 that has that length stem with a square stem. And it appears I need to disassemble further to remove it. ‍♂️. Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I should have added that video thanks! That’s the one I was watching. I was so flustered at the time didn’t think about it. So from the looks of it there is basically only 1 that has that length stem with a square stem. And it appears I need to disassemble further to remove it. ‍♂️. Thanks.
And I still can't figure out what cartridge you need from the video. It's number 5, whatever that means.

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
First you need to determine if your valve has service check stops. If it does the balance spool should be visible from the bottom.
If it doesn't the cartridge should have check valves in the bottom of the cartridge.
Can you get me the length of the brass stem?

Top left A507190 Top right A50795 Bottom left A507902
A507190 .jpegA507190bottom.jpegA507975.jpegAA507975bottom.jpegA507902.jpegA507092bottom.jpeg

KnowsNothinng

Reaction score
First you need to determine if your valve has service check stops. If it does the balance spool should be visible from the bottom.
If it doesn't the cartridge should have check valves in the bottom of the cartridge.

View attachment 87695View attachment 87696View attachment 87697AView attachment 87698View attachment 87699View attachment 87700
It looks to be 2 3/8”. But it’s hard to say how precise that is since it’s still in the valve and that putter chrome ring is in the way of the tape. I can’t seem to manage to remove the dang thing. Should it just pull out or do I need to also remove that piece? I attempted to pull the cartridge out but I didn’t go nuts. I also attempted to unscrew that bezel like thing. It has flats on it so I thought it must be threaded on there but again I didn’t go nuts. I’m trying to do this without breaking the parts before I have a replacement in hand or at the very least I know what the replacement would be. I’m trying to avoid just replacing the whole thing. Really don’t want to cut a hole in the wall I just put up and finished not too long ago. I left a access panel for shut offs but didn’t think I’d need one there. Thanks for the help.

4A8F5D99-09A4-4A17-A539-F2FD1B077F76.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
The chrome bonnet nut with the 2 flats does screw off counterclockwise and the cartridge pulls straight out. Were you able to locate the service stops on either side of the cartridge?

KnowsNothinng

Reaction score
The chrome bonnet nut with the 2 flats does screw off counterclockwise and the cartridge pulls straight out. Were you able to locate the service stops on either side of
Sorry I haven’t been able to look again yet. Haven’t been home since yesterday been slammed. But I’m heading there shortly and will look. So that bonnet should just screw off then? I put a decent amount of pressure on it but I didn’t want to snap it not knowing if it was removable. I’m guessing it’s plastic like the outter one right? I’ll check for the service stop when I get home and hopefully reply but sleep might come first. Thanks.

KnowsNothinng

Reaction score
The chrome bonnet nut with the 2 flats does screw off counterclockwise and the cartridge pulls straight out. Were you able to locate the service stops on either side of the cartridge?
I just looked and no service stops on it goes right from the supply lines into the valve body.

KnowsNothinng

Reaction score

View attachment 87695View attachment 87696View attachment 87697AView attachment 87698View attachment 87699View attachment 87700
Sorry it’s taken me so long. It’s been a rough few days. This is what I pulled out after getting the bonnet off. It doesn’t appear to be either. And it’s not like only half came out, the rest of what’s in there isn’t removable. Or at least it doesn’t look to be. It looks like parts from a delta faucet I have inside of there though. The spring and little rubber cap seem to be identical actually.

CD0B9C55-72F8-40A7-AFB8-EDB76E722CE1.jpeg
BF38C4C4-D09D-4243-86ED-0F202B72015C.jpeg
52044A25-3CE6-4D58-BF82-FF7E64AA97F0.jpeg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
These below are Matco Norca

matco-norca-02.jpg
matco-norca-03.jpg
matco-norca-01.jpg
SR-798_SR-798WS.jpg

SR-798 & SR-798WS Single Control Replacement Cartridge for Pressure Balancing Valve

• SR-798 - Replacement Cartridge for Pressure Balancing Valve, Less Stops
  • SR-798WS - Replacement Cartridge for Pressure Balancing Valve, With Stops
matco-norca-04-parts.jpg

Last edited:

KnowsNothinng

Reaction score
Being that the original problem was the valve dripping I would replace the seats and springs and reassemble.
I actually had some spare parts from fighting with my delta faucet that I tossed in. It did appear to stop the dripping. But I’d still like to identify what the heck I’m dealing with so I can grab a spare for future issues. The o-ring on there is looking a bit sad and deflated but none of the ones I have in my selection fit. I was also hoping it’d help solve the random water temp issues but my wife said her shower didn’t get hot this morning. So I guess it didn’t solve that. I had read that the same thing that causes a drip can cause inconsistency in output temp. For some reason even at full hot it doesn’t always give hot. Just warm.
I can’t believe a company would put out a product without any identifying marks on it. That’s just crazy to me.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
That’s just crazy to me.
Then you would go crazy being full time plumber. Its very common, especially in the higher end of the fixture spectrum. I have been writing the make and model number on the backside of shower fixtures for a while in sharpie after the same trouble finding parts.

KnowsNothinng

Reaction score
Then you would go crazy being full time plumber. Its very common, especially in the higher end of the fixture spectrum. I have been writing the make and model number on the backside of shower fixtures for a while in sharpie after the same trouble finding parts.
I give much props and respect to plumbers! That is the least of things that would drive me crazy! I don’t mind doing a lot of home stuff but plumbing is the bane of my home fixing. That’s a really good idea to write it down on the back! If I ever manage to figure out what the heck this valve is I will most definitely be doing that. I always tack a label to my sinks when I replace a faucet. Idk why I didn’t do similar with the shower. I think it was because it wasn’t planned and I was kind of blindsided by the whole thing. I was just putting up a surround and next thing I know I’m cutting a giant whole in the wall of the house we just bought.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks