Buying a greenhouse

Users who are viewing this thread

rubygilmore

Reaction score
Hi

I have recently bought a new house which is very large and I even have some good space behind my house too where I am planning to grow some fruits and vegetables but as still winters are there I am searching for a good place from where I can buy a greenhouse. I need a greenhouse which is around 24' X 24' with 3.5' Sidewalls. Any help in this regard will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
You should be able to find some good info about building your own on the internet. Save a bunch of money that you can use for heating and ventilation systems that you may need to make it work good.

I have seen them made using PVC pipe, and you can build to size.

UV rated pipe would be best.

Good Luck on your project.

hygron

Reaction score
Website
hygronomics.com
Call your County agent and ask him about greenhouse ops that have gone out of business, or, about Auctions in your area. Sometimes you can find a fantastic deal.

Atlas Greenhouse is a great company. I deal with them and they are always willing to help.
http://www.atlasgreenhouse.com/

Tek Supply also has some really nice kits, and many choices in regards to design and coverings. Really good company.
http://www.teksupply.com/contractor/supplies/cat1a;ts_greenhouses_accessories.html

I can guide you as to what you really need and what you can build or salvage instead of buying new.

What region are you in? Hope this helps.

Charlie.f308

Reaction score
hey thanks! I live in MN and am looking to start a green house next summer. And man oh man does it get cold in the winter. Will look into the pvc piping. Thanks again!

hygron

Reaction score
Website
hygronomics.com
hey thanks! I live in MN and am looking to start a green house next summer. And man oh man does it get cold in the winter. Will look into the pvc piping. Thanks again!

I would not personally recommend a PVC greenhouse in Minn, The work well and last in Fla, but I think you would develop issues over time, and would have to re-invest money over and over.

Gogalvanized Steel. It will last as long as you do.

Kimbra

Reaction score
Hi there, Any persons interested in building their own greenhouse beware. I'm definitely not saying it isn't possible but I have seen attempts go horribly wrong. Some one could even be killed by the material collapse, even more by the weight of snow, in our northern climates. Pay careful attention to your anchoring method as well.
I own and operate a very large greenhouse and have consulted persons building their own. I have seen projects that I would not store any of value, including pet shelter. Do your homework! And if I can help answer questions, I certainly will, or at least steer you to someone/ where that can.
One more thing, don't give up. It is a very rewarding pastime, or beginning part-time job. It is very cost efficient to build rather than buy if funds are an issue. As you can tell, I LOVE my job!
Good luck!

MPGI

Reaction score
Hi

I have recently bought a new house which is very large and I even have some good space behind my house too where I am planning to grow some fruits and vegetables but as still winters are there I am searching for a good place from where I can buy a greenhouse. I need a greenhouse which is around 24' X 24' with 3.5' Sidewalls. Any help in this regard will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

I realize this thread is quite old but am willing to share 'lessons learned' about a pre-fab greenhouse we used in USDA Zone 5b/6 (depending on the map used) for about 5-years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks