Burnham Alpine 105 control problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

argyle87

Reaction score
Experiencing intermittent hard lock out #25. Boiler suggests resetting, and if problem reoccurs, replace Sage 2 controller. Attempted to rest 4-5x (over 2 days) and hard lockout occurred every time EXCEPT the last time. Ordered new Sage 2 unit which should arrive today. Question: is it logical that the controller failure is an intermittent issue? Honestly I’d feel more confident if the error continued to occur. The fact that the boiler is now running makes me question whether I should swap out the controller or stick it on the shelf and wait and see. Is there anything else that could cause the error I’m describing? Thanks in advance - all comments welcome and appreciated!

argyle87

Reaction score
The lack of response to my post has me wondering if I posted in the wrong section. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes it takes a while before the right person that has knowledge on a particular subject sees the post and respond. It's a free forum with people volunteering their expertise and knowledge. I would give it some time, and it's the weekend of the 4th and that might have something to do with it. I can't help you on boilers. Not with the controls and pumps at least.

Fitter30

Reaction score
25 is a hardware fault. Could try pulling all plug ins and repluging them in after looking if all plugs seeing if the terminals are seated.

argyle87

Reaction score
Update: after resetting the boiler (it took multiple resets) it now seems to be running without incident. I know I’m playing with fire but I haven’t yet ordered a replacement board ($400). If it happens again I’ll order the board and hope (!) I’ll be able to reset the unit until the board arrives. Thanks to all.

pipes

Reaction score
Update: after resetting the boiler (it took multiple resets) it now seems to be running without incident. I know I’m playing with fire but I haven’t yet ordered a replacement board ($400). If it happens again I’ll order the board and hope (!) I’ll be able to reset the unit until the board arrives. Thanks to all.
Hey @argyle87,
Did you have any updates after this?
I'm getting a similar issue, hard lockout 25, hardware fault 174, replace sage controller.
But its intermittent and resolves after some resets.

Wondering if it means the sage controller is fritzing before it dies, or if it might be something else?

Cheers

Fitter30

Reaction score
Hey @argyle87,
Did you have any updates after this?
I'm getting a similar issue, hard lockout 25, hardware fault 174, replace sage controller.
But its intermittent and resolves after some resets.

Wondering if it means the sage controller is fritzing before it dies, or if it might be something else?

Cheers
What's the complete model number?

pipes

Reaction score
Repost those model numbers they disappeared. Looking at the air handler have the thermostat with the screen?
Hi, its a 105 like OP.
Full model number is alp105bw-2t02.

Didn't quite understand your other question? Only screen with Temps is the one on the main unit from what I see. There's a manual pressure/temp valve on one pipe connected.

pipes

Reaction score
I feel as though it might be the high limit temperature sensor. It's the still the original one, which I heard was recalled and can cause this issue. (Saw a few Mikey Pipes videos on youtube) I was able to get the boiler working today by jumping the sensor.
Have a plumber replacing it later today

pipes

Reaction score
Yup, I know 25 is replace sage, similar to OP. But the issue is intermittent, sometimes fixes itself after reset. That's why I'm wondering if @argyle87 had any updates.

Had the high limit sensor replaced by plumbers. $650 later it cleared alert 383, 283, 124 in the alert info page, but boiler still not starting most of the time. Still have hard lockout 174, so think all I can do now is try and replace sage controller, I've ordered one to arrive tomorrow.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Yup, I know 25 is replace sage, similar to OP. But the issue is intermittent, sometimes fixes itself after reset. That's why I'm wondering if @argyle87 had any updates.

Had the high limit sensor replaced by plumbers. $650 later it cleared alert 383, 283, 124 in the alert info page, but boiler still not starting most of the time. Still have hard lockout 174, so think all I can do now is try and replace sage controller, I've ordered one to arrive tomorrow.
What manual are you getting the 3 digit fault codes none of manuals haven't found any of them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks