Burial of copper water lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Kiton

Reaction score
I have searched through the NPC for the rules of burying copper drinking water supply lines.

The only reference I have found is in the screen capture attached referencing mechanical damage.

Wayne had sent me the IPC rules for burial but I cant find anything even close in the NPC:

305.1 Protection Against Contact

Metallic piping, except for cast iron, ductile iron and galvanized steel, shall not be placed in direct contact with steel framing members, concrete or cinder walls and floors or other masonry. Metallic piping shall not be placed in direct contact with corrosive soil. Where sheathing is used to prevent direct contact, the sheathing shall have a thickness of not less than 0.008 inch (8 mil) (0.203 mm) and the sheathing shall be made of plastic. Where sheathing protects piping that penetrates concrete or masonry walls or floors, the sheathing shall be installed in a manner that allows movement of the piping within the sheathing."

The reference is to this installation job.

thanks!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot burial of copper.jpg
    Screen Shot burial of copper.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 259
  • Water Line Changed E.jpg
    Water Line Changed E.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 340

Kiton

Reaction score
Can any Canadian plumbers point me to code on copper pipe being in contact with concrete walls?

thanks,

Kiton

Reaction score
2.3.5.5. Protection from Mechanical Damage
1) Plumbing, piping and equipment exposed to mechanical damage shall be
protected.

Am I am safe to assume this means copper pipe penetrating a concrete wall must be insulated from contact?

thank you,

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks