Brass fittings leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Karl Baker

Reaction score
I ran all the pex and put valves on the end to test for leaks. I had no leaks, system worked as planned. Then the drop ear elbows came along with the brass nipples and 1/4 turn valves so I assembled everything and had nothing but leaks. Every brass fitting connection point leaked. I put Teflon tape on the threads and tightened them down. My concern is maybe I don't have the right thread match up. I have attached the plumbing vanity pdf which shows the drop hear, nipple, and valve I used. All leaked. Also I attached the plumbing pdf, which shows the shower valve and brass adapter I used, all leaked. Any help?

Thanks,
Karl

Attachments

• Plumbing vanity.pdf
    194 KB · Views: 389
  • Plumbing.pdf
    184 KB · Views: 376

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
The barbs on the fitting in the plumbing pdf don't look like propex to me. I can't rotate the pic to make sure. Sure you got the right part?

Karl Baker

Reaction score
They say propex and the pex on that fitting doesn't leak. It's the female brass to the male shower thread that leaks. All pex is good, it's all the threaded pieces that leak

Karl Baker

Reaction score
Hj, so the threads all seem compatible? I'll get pipe dope tonight and get it back together. I'll let it sit overnight. Any recommendations on pipe dope?
Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Rectorseal #5 is good for metal-to-metal. If you are connecting to plastic, they call for their T Plus 2, which is supposed to also be good for metal to metal. I got both.

Terry uses pipe dope compound and PTFE on the same joint. In my very limited use, I use higher density PTFE, such as the yellow tape sold for gas, plus Rectorseal. I am not a pro.

You need a fair amount of torque.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks