Brand new Rheem leaking from hot water nipple

Users who are viewing this thread

Dedalus101

Reaction score
The water is welling up fromn the nipple. Do I put a pipoe wrench on the nipple and try to tighten it? Or task it out and replace it?

20230124_122200.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
It looks to me as if the leak is higher than the nipple connection at the WH.

Tie a piece of string/ribbon around the PTFE tape and around the hex nut. See if either gets wet.

Dedalus101

Reaction score
It looks to me as if the leak is higher than the nipple connection at the WH.

Tie a piece of string/ribbon around the PTFE tape and around the hex nut. See if either gets wet.
It doies not get wet. You can actually see the water welling up from below the nipple, I'm worried that tightening the nipple to much might strip the threads and cause a larger leak.

Reach4

Reaction score
Tie the string or ribbon. The water at the WH could be coming from higher up.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is likley impossible to "strip" threads like this. Just keep tightening until it stops leaking.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
if its loose tighten it if it feels pretty tight remove dope it up and or teflon tape or replace nipple

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks