Bolt Through Sewer Line!? Should It Be There? HELP!

Users who are viewing this thread

-MIKE-

Reaction score
We've been having a clog problem in the main, going out to the septic tank. I found a Y in the line with a clean-out plug. This is a picture taken of the screen on my inspection camera. What the heck is that bolt(?) doing in the pipe!? It's 3" plastic pipe and this is right after the junction in the Y.

bolt in sewer pipe.jpg

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe the camera got turned sideways that is a metal rod that was driven down from the surface and it accidently went through the drain pipe. I think you should get it out.

Last edited:

-MIKE-

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but what I'm hearing from both of you is that it indeed should NOT be there, correct.

To Smooky, that is the correct orientation of the camera. That plastic or paper is hanging down from it.

To Terry, this is a 3" pipe, so that would make this bolt (or whatever) like 3/16" diameter or less.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have you bumped it with anything? Maybe it's just a pencil or something that got caught on the edge and wedged itself in there. Is this pipe out in the yard? It is not in a wall is it?

-MIKE-

Reaction score
In the yard. I'll try to dislodge it or grab it. My camera has a hook attachment, I'll see if it moves.

-MIKE-

Reaction score
Oh, and Smooky... the camera was angled about 15°. That plastic hanging down was closer to the bottom, I believe. In any case, I sure hope this was the problem and I can be done with this!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I hope that nail is all they put in there. Who in the world would drive a nail through a sewer line?

A few weeks ago, I was on a job and somebody put bits of tile in the drains.
So so the rest of you know, no tile or grout should ever be in a drain. That goes outside in a waste container.

gas_line_in_sewer.jpg

Last edited:

-MIKE-

Reaction score
I hope that nail is all they put in there. Who in the world would drive a nail through a sewer line?

Terry, it wasn't driven through, it was just wedged in there. It could've been flushed or possibly dropped down the main vent stack from the roof. From the "couldn't have done it if you tried" files.

-MIKE-

Reaction score
By the way, I knew it's been a while but I wanted to post what I did to make it easier to get to this cleanout, formerly buried in the ground. :)
Septic_Cleanout_AccessPipe.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks