Best deep pump

Users who are viewing this thread

PaulaK

Reaction score
Stats on well: 366' deep, static 80, through rock, 6"casing, 6gpm, home and irrigation for house on 1 acre.
Putting in a 119 gal x-trol pressure tank 40/60.
I'm a well pump ignorant single lady trying to sort out the posts to see what brand is best. Read something on floating impellers on the Franklins being bad, franklin motor good, grundfos pump good, grundfos steel impellers (but does this really matter, are the plastic ones just as good?) but in all honesty, I am still ignorant and would like some suggestions on what brand I should get that will work well.
I have a guy coming out tomorrow and he uses Shaeffer. I've heard of Berkeley, Franklin, Gould, and Grundfos, and he said he could get any kind.
I'm still don't understand the benefit of a CSV. I do want the pressure in the house to be between 60-70, so what must i do to achieve this.
CSV website sells some electrical panel hook ons to make sure it stops a dry run or something like that?
What is your belief on the most reliable? I don't mind spending more, if that will save me in problems and repairs.
Thank you all so very much for your help!

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I install Grundfos almost exclusively, not crazy about their motors, but they seem to be as good as the others. 2 hp and up we've been using Goulds.

If you're in middle TN, talk to Loyd @ Watson Water.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
I have a guy coming out tomorrow and he uses Shaeffer. That is a Franklin pump that uses the "Tri-Seal" pump design with plastic impellers. Valveman labeled them as "dragging impellers" but only when used with a CSV or a Dole Valve under 5gpm....

Inline 400 Pressure Boosting System

What causes the Inline System to stop boosting?

Inline system stops boosting when the demand for water drops below the ½ gallon-per-minute flow rate (pump will turn off in 10 seconds after the flow stops). http://franklinwater.com/media/152845/106935101_inline_400_owners_manual_07-15_web.pdfThe Owner's Manual

All Stainless Steel Pump brands (this includes the impellers to be stainless steel) is what Valveman wants. Stay away from the all stainless steel Pro-Source pump made by Pentair but Myers all stainless steel pump from Pentair is working fine.

Last edited:

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
I also showed how the opening on a stainless steel impeller are smaller than the opening on a plastic impeller.

To me, make sure your pumping nothing but clear water on stainless steel impellers.

To me, the plastic impellers can handle sand better because of the larger openings for it to pass right through. Jacuzzi had a pump called the "sand handler" with plastic impellers. Franklin is using the name on their J-Class pumps.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I also showed how the opening on a stainless steel impeller are smaller than the opening on a plastic impeller.

To me, make sure your pumping nothing but clear water on stainless steel impellers.

To me, the plastic impellers can handle sand better because of the larger openings for it to pass right through. Jacuzzi had a pump called the "sand handler" with plastic impellers. Franklin is using the name on their J-Class pumps.

Go with a Grundfos and if you think there might be some sand have your installer put a long flow inducer sleeve over the pump.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would think the Pro Source and Myers Stainless Steel pump were exactly the same as they are both made at the same plant by Pentair. I agree the Grundfos is the best, even if you are pumping sand.

A pressure switch with a 50/70 setting will give you an average of 60 PSI in the house. But to get this 60 PSI average the system will cycle between 50 and 70 PSI anytime you are using water. Many people hate to see the pressure continually swing between 50 and 70, so they will use a pressure reducing valve and just try to maintain a steady 50 PSI out of the tank. However, the pump is still cycling on and off between 50 and 70, which is not good for the pump. Cycling is so bad for the pump that many installers will use a big tank, like that 119 size tank you mentioned, just to slow down the cycling a little bit. But a 119 gallon tank only holds about 30 gallons of water, so the pump still has to cycle on and off for every 30 gallons used.

A CSV eliminates the cycling and will hold a constant 60 PSI in the house, which makes the shower and sprinkler pressure much better. Plus with a CSV, I would only use a 20 gallon size tank (WX202). Normally we would only use a 4.5 gallon size tank, but since you want higher pressure, which makes tanks hold even less water, you can use a 20 gallon size tank. This size tank will work with a CSV when using a 50/70 or even a 60/80 pressure switch. The CSV makes pumps last longer and allows the use of a much smaller tank, which takes up a lot less room and cost a lot less.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
For it to save on cost, the pump has to last longer because it's alot of money to pull the pump. It's Rare for me to come across a 119gal tank on Residential. Most people go with a smaller tank that only gives them closer to the one minute Runtime because of cost and I still showed very high pump life on my list. Only time I see the bigger tanks is when a bigger gpm pump is being used to give closer to that one minute runtime. If I could have customers affording 2min runtimes like Craigpump customers, my numbers would be even higher yet!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks