Bathroom plumbing and venting- replacement of cast iron

Users who are viewing this thread

Shmauds

Reaction score
Hello,
I am renovating my bathroom in my home built in 1936 (1960's remodel?) It currently has 4 inch cast iron pipe for waste line that is starting to leak and corrode at the joints. I am wanting to replace the old pipe with pvc and want to make sure that the basic routing of it is up to code or at least wont give me problems down the road.

The toilet is just under 6 feet from the main vent stack and I believe that it vents through the sink vent. I will be opening up the back of the wall to sheetrock and rewire and to avoid having to remove my newly installed denshield tile backer. The sink vent and drain is 1 1/2 inch galvanized pipe currently.

The first picture shows the main stack in the background (4"pvc pipe) that is coupled to the cast iron and vents through the roof with no reducers. The horizontal pipe in the foreground drains the bathtub and there is no venting for it. The drain to the tub is an in wall standing waste setup.

IMG_0529.JPG

This second picture shows the sink drain on the left which drains into the main horizontal pipe. The toilet drains through the large pipe on the right.
IMG_0528.JPG

This third picture shows the inlet for the sink drain and the horizontal pipe is a dry vent that exits through the roof seperate from the main stack.
IMG_0527.JPG

My question is will I be ok to simply replace the pipe with pvc pipe that matches the routing of the existing piping. Thank you so much for your input!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks