Bathroom Fan Venting

Users who are viewing this thread

Jon Wohlgemuth

Reaction score
I am installing a Panasonic fan in a master bath. There is attic access but there is blown in insulation in the attic walls and rafters so access is difficult. i would like to go directly out the side of the house as its only a few feet to run the venting. It's a 4 inch flexible duct but needs to be run through 2x12 joists. Can that be done? I will check with code here to see but does anyone have suggestions of what to do? The bathroom is at the corner of a house. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for any help

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maximum hole diameter is D/3, where D is the actual depth, so don't put a 4" hole in a 2x12 (11.25" depth). Depending on the CFM and the details of the run, there's a chance that a short run of 3" rigid duct would perform OK.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks