Basement sink filling with water and non-draining ( winter, no water use, house not used) why ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Daveycat712

Reaction score
My dad has dementia so we look after him in another house . His house has zero toilet use, zero washing machine use, and zero tap/sink use. Once a week i water his plants and there is no water down the sink ever . It is winter, a very cold January, and all of a sudden his basement sink is filling with dirty, sandy water that will not drain ( tried plunger).
A few days later the city ripped up the street in front and it looked like they were putting in a 6" - 8" diameter piece of pipe
6' - 8' long in the water filled hole they were digging. Right after that the sink mysteriously drained , leaving a big mess of dirt/sand in the sink. 3 days later the sink filled with water again that will not drain ( from where ???) . And more water is coming in the sink.
What the heck is going on ?
Frozen sewer? City f-up ?
Where to go, what to do from here ?
Help please.
Thank-you.
David

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
It certainly sounds like a clogged sewer if the work they did cleared it. But maybe they forgot to hook everything up? Or there is more of a clog somewhere downstream. Sand in what is coming back sounds like a collapsed drain to me too.

I've been in North Bay during January... its COLD up there!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks