Bar/slop sink slow drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Giantsean

Reaction score
Ok I know I promised the last post was my last... but... :p

This one should be pretty easy. All in all everything works a treat, EXCEPT the basins of this sink fill up pretty quickly and the drain seems like it can't keep up. It is not awful but one faucet running will keep the water level in one basin at about 1/2" to 3/4" and two will seriously tax it. To be fair, I took out all restrictors and diffusers so it's pretty much full pressure. It is also pitched back a bit to get the water to the drains faster, but not so much that you'd noticed.

I had replaced the old drains with newer Moens from Company A and noticed the actual drain area is a lot smaller than what they had replaced, making me think they were the problem. To test, I pulled the trap out from underneath and let it drain into a bucket, same result (ie it's not a blockage or piping/venting issue that I can see).

I still have the old drains... does anyone not think it would solve the problem if I simply swap them out?

20210705_230013.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think the old will be faster. Ive noticed the tinyest debris slows them down , So im gusseing thos thick cross bars are making it slower

Giantsean

Reaction score
Thanks Jeff. I noticed most of the "2 inch" drains available are actually less than 2" and have similarly large crossbars. Probably fine for a small bar sink or something but not much more. What I can NOT find though is a good source for larger drains like my old one up there. The diameter is closer to 2 1/4 inch or something... are there standard sizes for these things?

Giantsean

Reaction score
So I swapped out the small drain for the larger opening unit, and while it is a little better, it didn't make the difference I thought it might. I think part of the problem is the narrower tailpiece flange helps choke the opening to around the size of the smaller drain's opening. Guess they don't make any wider options other than screwing a PVC coupler to it but that means replacing everything and once it's glued it's staying that way. Probably is what it is and I just live with it :)

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I notice all the time they don't drain so fast. just as bad sinks and tubs take forever filling to me. but never gave much thought to the draining slow

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Never seen a 2" kitchen sink strainer.. wouldn't matter anyhow since the drain its connecting to is 1.5"

You could cut out the cross bars to remove any impediment. They probably serve no real purpose if they're not latching onto a strainer.

Giantsean

Reaction score
Yes also thought about that, and just get a removeable strainer in it's place (the kind w/ the big flange that just fit over a hole). In this case I want more to go down and I am usually picking crap out of the crossbars that get stuck. I even thought maybe changing the tailpiece gasket from a flanged gasket to a flat washer would help, but it's not so much the washer but the tailpiece flange that impedes in the space. Add to the fact that it's a big flat basin vs. a more graceful curve of the old one, and sh*t happens lol. Overall I'm just pleased it all works!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're limited in every stage of your drain because it is all 1-1/2 hitting a double 90 thing on its side... Just the basket strainer or the flat connection to it won't increase your draining volume noticeably.

GReynolds929

Reaction score
The basket strainers are not the problem. The kitchen drain needs cleaned, especially if it is old and 1 1/2" the whole way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks