Ball valve recommendation for acidic well water

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
For the second time in about 4 years, I need to change the ball valve that shuts off the water before my acid tank. The failure for both valves was the same - the shaft that turns the ball corrodes so the valve can't be completely shut off, and once an attempt has been made, it won't turn full flow on again. Once more I'm stuck with about 60% flow after trying to shut down the valve. I don't like to drain the tank down whenever I need to do a quick plumbing repair that requires the water to be shut off. I need the valve before the acid tank so that I can add media twice a year.

My water is about 6.2 pH on average before the tank (7.0 after), so this shouldn't be a problem. I bought both valves at a big box store, but I want to buy a valve that won't decay prematurely, so I need a recommendation from someone who has used a specific brand and model number on an acidic well.

Thanks.

John

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I use PVC double union ball valves. They don't have any metal components to corrode. Being that they are double union, they can easily be replaced if need be and I keep a spare.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I use PVC double union ball valves. They don't have any metal components to corrode. Being that they are double union, they can easily be replaced if need be and I keep a spare.

Thanks, I should have mentioned it's all sweat copper at that point. But if this is the way to go, I'll transition to plastic from the storage tank manifold to the acid tank.

John

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I thought copper was a bad choice with acidic water due to possible pinhole leaks. I use PVC from before the HP and contact tank up to the water softener.
16-10-05-06.png

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Stainless three piece is an option but it's expensive. Just a plain stainless ball valve should be fine. You'll have to sweat some adapters.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I thought copper was a bad choice with acidic water due to possible pinhole leaks.

It is, but it's only a short run from the well tank to the acid tank so not much copper to look after. I might still need a copper transition from the manifold to plastic.

John

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The failure for both valves was the same - the shaft that turns the ball corrodes so the valve can't be completely shut off, and once an attempt has been made, it won't turn full flow on again.
Before I redid the plumbing on mine, I had copper pipe and the ball valve stem had corroded presumably from condensation due to the water temperature, not due to water quality.

Maybe you could check the stem with a magnet since a magnet does not attract many grades of stainless steel.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
CPVC Valves should be good too. maybe a step up from regular pvc I noticed some of the pool equiptment valves are cpvc. No recomendation as to specifics but Id be ok with plastic outside the walls if safe from damage

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
CPVC Valves should be good too. maybe a step up from regular pvc I noticed some of the pool equiptment valves are cpvc. No recomendation as to specifics but Id be ok with plastic outside the walls if safe from damage

Yes, typical Northeast unfinished basement. All easily accessible.

I guess I'll transition to plastic between the well storage tank and my acid tank. Strange that the original ball valve lasted more than 20 years but the next two just a couple of years each.

John

KeylaRamos

Reaction score
Hey John, sorry to hear about your valve troubles. I'm new on this forum, but I might be able to help you out with a recommendation. Have you tried looking into valves made of materials that are resistant to corrosion? Like PVC or CPVC? They might hold up better against your acidic well water. As for specific brand and model recommendations, I've heard good things about the Spears True Union ball valve and the Hayward TB Series ball valve. They both have PVC and CPVC options and are designed to withstand corrosive environments. Hope that helps! By the way, have you heard of drawworks for drilling rigs? It's a pretty important component for drilling operations. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Last edited:

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Hey John, sorry to hear about your valve troubles. I'm new on this forum, but I might be able to help you out with a recommendation. Have you tried looking into valves made of materials that are resistant to corrosion?

Not yet. There's no urgency as the valve isn't leaking externally. I'll swap this out in the next month or so because I have to service my acid tank. What do you suggest?

And welcome aboard!

John

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Ball valves should be exercised on a regular basis to keep them from seizing up even if they are noncorroding.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Ball valves should be exercised on a regular basis to keep them from seizing up even if they are noncorroding.

I agree, but the original valve lasted 25 years and the last two about a two years each, and they do get exercised when I service my acid tank. Now I have to shut down the well and drain the wellxtrol tank to service the acid tank.

This is clearly a crappy valve issue.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks