Bacterial colony in a pumped sewer vs. septic field?

Users who are viewing this thread

Zenon2cubed

Reaction score
My local municipality is requiring everyone to disconnect their septic field and pump liquids to a nearby city for central treatment.
I have completed the change-over and am now wondering what importance the bacterial colony in the separation tank now serves.

Specifically, I'm planning to shock my well soon and I'm wondering if there would be any detrimental effect to simply flushing all the residual bleach solution down the sewer.

Zenon2cubed

Reaction score
Thanks for the excellent write-up, I've studied it and will be doing my best to follow it.

Yes, I have a fiberglass septic tank that has been disconnected from the field, it now pumps into a pressurized municipal system.
I was thinking about just sending all the chlorinated solution down the drain, and once the chlorine level drops to ~4 ppm send enough non-chlorinated water that the septic pump cycles two times or so.

I'm wondering if killing the colony in my situation would still be detrimental.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks