Backwash drain - location

Users who are viewing this thread

Powerless

Reaction score
Hello,

I just had a plumber visit … I’m adding 12x52 carbon tank.

I was hoping that backwash can go to floor drain but plumber said, due to how the floor drain was installed he does not think it’s a good option.

Floor drain was notched inside for condensate drains. ( he said that it was poor craftsmanship.

He said there are 3 options run the back wash line to bathroom above and add and Airgap under sink for backwash.

Option two not recommended by him add Sadle on main stack and AAV

Option 3 drain to sump pump which right next to filter - is something like this even allowed ? - will it not freeze winter time ?

Running upstairs is best option but it means removing vanity and cutting in to tiles.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Carbon filter backwash, unlike water softener discharge, will be clean filtered water which may contain some debris if your water supply contains any sediment or debris particles. During the summer, you could redirect the drain line to utilize the backwash flow for watering outdoor plants.

Option two not recommended by him add Sadle on main stack and AAV
Are you certain this 'plumber' is licenced?

Option 3 drain to sump pump ... will it not freeze winter time ?
Is your sump pump discharge line not winterized to prevent freezing? If not, what happens currently when the pump is needed during the winter?

Post some photos of the floor drain.

Last edited:

Powerless

Reaction score
I will snap some pics tomorrow. / today

I hope he is licensed it’s a large company with tons of trucks around the city

I mean I never had issues with sump in winter … but than I’m not sure if it turns on in winter ? Water frozen ?(just thinking out loud )

Should I call someone else ?

All Fug Duck

Reaction score
Running it to a trap while can be done, could be a huge mess if the line gets clogged. I wouldn't be able to sleep at nights knowing it...lol

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks