Any way to permanently kill roots in sewer line?

Users who are viewing this thread

EDWINJCB

Reaction score
Just had a plumber tell me I had roots growing into a 4" sewer line that are buried under a concrete slab foundation. Two bathrooms back to back with a common wall between them. He hydrojetted the lines to get them flowing, but they will likely grow back. Was told a permanent fix would require jack hammering through the concrete to the pipes, then replacing them, at great cost and inconvenience. Is there a cheaper, faster way to do this? What about cuttting off the roots at the tree, or wherever they originate? Thanks for any ideas!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just had a plumber tell me I had roots growing into a 4" sewer line that are buried under a concrete slab foundation. Two bathrooms back to back with a common wall between them. He hydrojetted the lines to get them flowing, but they will likely grow back. Was told a permanent fix would require jack hammering through the concrete to the pipes, then replacing them, at great cost and inconvenience. Is there a cheaper, faster way to do this? What about cuttting off the roots at the tree, or wherever they originate? Thanks for any ideas!
No not really. You need pipe that roots can't get into. Any root killer might work ok for a while. You will find that the effort and time trying to kill roots year round will get annoying. Who wants to constantly service there piping?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have had root problems with sewers LONG AFTER the tree was cut down, (even 30years later), stump removed, and all traces of the tree eliminated.
I suppose the tree species may play a part. but your cases proove its not an automatic fix

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
You can burn and kill the roots by getting a few boxes of mothballs
that are used mostly for keeping moths from eating your stored clothes...

You take a handfull of mothballs in the evening and flush them down the toilet
and they lay in the line all night long and slowly break down.....

Mothballs are pretty toxic and they burn the hell out of the roots....
the mothballs are dirt cheap and I have told
people to do this bi-weekly-- monthly

Caliber_Plumbing

Reaction score
You can burn and kill the roots by getting a few boxes of mothballs
that are used mostly for keeping moths from eating your stored clothes...

You take a handfull of mothballs in the evening and flush them down the toilet
and they lay in the line all night long and slowly break down.....

Mothballs are pretty toxic and they burn the hell out of the roots....
the mothballs are dirt cheap and I have told
people to do this bi-weekly-- monthly
I was about to tell about mothballs. They work really fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks