Any need to replace this 6 year old anode rod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Larry S

Occasional DIY'er
Reaction score
After learning about how anode rods work and replacing them, I was going to replace the anode in my 6 year old water heater. (Rheem Pro+75-76N). But when I started to pull it out it looks very intact so I was going to hold off. Anything I'm missing which would suggest replacement now? Of course only first couple feet show due to limited overhead clearance.

21F6D97B-2D82-4F7E-975F-6E0F7C9C9F85.jpeg
E78387D0-1B01-4B6F-BB4D-C8C67BC7131C.jpeg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I am impressed that you got that loose. Impact wrench? Anyway, I don't know if you should replace or not. I tend to agree that you are probably OK to put it back. Do use PTFE tape when you screw in an a WH anode. Do not use as much torque as it took to loosen. I would estimate 15 ft-lbs would be good.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Do use PTFE tape when you screw in an a WH anode.
Don't use too much tape as it needs to ground electrically to the tank through the threads. If there is enough headroom to pull it all the way out, I would clean off some of the patina to get it back to bare metal.

Reach4

Reaction score
Don't use too much tape as it needs to ground electrically to the tank through the threads. If there is enough headroom to pull it all the way out, I would clean off some of the patina to get it back to bare metal.
I worried about the PTFE tape insulating. I monitored the resistance between the tank and the anode metal as I turned. I don't think I got a quarter turn before there was continuity. The threads cut right thru the tape.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
That coating of rust(?) is a barrier it could be impeeding the reaction from taking place.

Chefwong

Reaction score
So herein lies the question. See, minimal corrosion on the anode.

How do you make the same judgement call on what's working or not with a Powered Anode.
Trust and Faith

RZPhyxit

Reaction score
Your rod is in excellent condition (assuming the entire length looks like that) Here are 8, 10 and 12 yr rods pulled from AO Smith, Bradford White and Rheem gas water heaters respectively (just done Oct 2023)
IMG_2553.jpeg
IMG_2566.jpeg
IMG_2538.jpeg

Hogan

Reaction score
I have a question on these....can I use an impact wrench? I have one that claims at least 500 lbft torque plus I have large impact sockets already.

Many years ago I read something claiming that impacting could "break or crack the glass lining" on the tank and obviously that would be a bad thing.

Any thoughts?

Larry S

Occasional DIY'er
Reaction score
I used one on mine because I've read that is a good way to remove them. It worked. But mine is a basic Porter Cable cordless I bought used so I don’t know the max torque it does. But I did not use it to fully torque it back in, just to remove it.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Sure there installed with impact of some sort either by hand or probably on a automated line. Go back with a segmented rod unless you have a.lot of head room.

Hogan

Reaction score
Sure there installed with impact of some sort either by hand or probably on a automated line. Go back with a segmented rod unless you have a.lot of head room.
I used one on mine because I've read that is a good way to remove them. It worked. But mine is a basic Porter Cable cordless I bought used so I don’t know the max torque it does. But I did not use it to fully torque it back in, just to remove it.

Thanks guys

I tried doing it by hand with my Dad many years ago and gave up. That was just with a breaker bar. I probably needed to add a cheater bar.

As I am just getting the tank installed in the next few weeks, I assume I can wait about [5] years to open it up and check it?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks guys

I tried doing it by hand with my Dad many years ago and gave up. That was just with a breaker bar. I probably needed to add a cheater bar.

As I am just getting the tank installed in the next few weeks, I assume I can wait about [5] years to open it up and check it?

Lake Michigan water is not very corrosive. If you are in Chicago, you would be using Lake Michigan water.

How long did your previous tank WH last? There may be a date code that could tell you that.

One thought is that if you have the impact wrench already, remove the anode on the new WH (but after the tank has water). Let's say that takes 160 ft lb. Then put the anode back using PTFE tape and maybe 15 ft lb of torque. Then 6 years later it will take maybe only 50 ft lb to remove.

Have any of your friends ever swapped anodes?

Hogan

Reaction score
Lake Michigan water is not very corrosive. If you are in Chicago, you would be using Lake Michigan water.

How long did your previous tank WH last? There may be a date code that could tell you that.

One thought is that if you have the impact wrench already, remove the anode on the new WH (but after the tank has water). Let's say that takes 160 ft lb. Then put the anode back using PTFE tape and maybe 15 ft lb of torque. Then 6 years later it will take maybe only 50 ft lb to remove.

Have any of your friends ever swapped anodes?

Haha well that's the rub

My "6 year warranty" Richmond twin 50 gal heaters are now turning 20 years old....I am about to replace them proactively with a single 75 gal but yeah I have always wondered how it lasted so long. Thinking maybe a nice coating of lime scale inside my tanks right now and they could last "forever" but I feel better being proactive rather than risk a catastrophic failure. We have a finished basement already and are spending money now on a new couch, new carpet etc down there. Would be a D'oh moment if in my cheapness I ended up with a flood of rusty water from a blown heater and I have two of them that could go

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks