Another San tee vs Combo Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Tru504211187

Reaction score
Hello Everyone -- On the upper unit of a duplex, there is a toilet that will drain to a 3" vertical pipe going to the basement. Immediately below the toilet's san tee, the lav and tub would enter this same vertical. Because the lav and tub are vented individually to the main stack, does it matter if they tie into the vertical using another san tee or should it be a combo/ wye w/ 45?

My understanding is that it does not matter which fitting is used. If it does not matter for code/ functionality, which is 'better' for drainage?

Thank you for your replies!

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Code wise it doesn't matter--the only advantage to the san-tee is that you can use it to pull a vertical dry vent off a horizontal drain as the drain turns downward. And that it's a bit more compact physically.

Function wise I have no opinion (insufficient experience) but the professionals here generally prefer the combo.

Cheers, Wayne

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
When water falls down a stack it can travel horizontally back out of a tee. There's not always a choice, sometimes space dictates using a tee, but a wye and 45 is easier than a combo also.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
20210215_190015.jpg

You can see here I really didn't want poop from the toilet stack getting into my kitchen sink. I only had this little space to work with as there was a duct and chimney on either side.

Reach4

Reaction score
Any chance that you could join the drainage from the lavatory or vented tub with the toilet line before the toilet drainage joins the stack?

Does any non-bathroom drainage enter the stack before your proposed toilet santee?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
a 3x2 santee is fine , I seldom use a combi in the way described. cheaper , easier to fit in stud bay Also I dont use long sweep 90s where I dont need them

Tru504211187

Reaction score
Any chance that you could join the drainage from the lavatory or vented tub with the toilet line before the toilet drainage joins the stack?

Does any non-bathroom drainage enter the stack before your proposed toilet santee?
Hi -- The vertical is nearly directly behind the toilet...so not much room at all to be able to join to the toilet's horizontal. That would have been great...less laying on the floor working under floor joists that are only in the way.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi -- The vertical is nearly directly behind the toilet...so not much room at all to be able to join to the toilet's horizontal. That would have been great...less laying on the floor working under floor joists that are only in the way.
Santee is fine

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks