Angle Supply Stop Orientation?

Users who are viewing this thread

KP Texan

Marine Engineer
Reaction score
This is probably one of the most ridiculous questions ever posted here, but just want to make sure I'm doing things right. I'm about to replace all the angle supply stops in my house, and I've noticed the current ones are oriented in various directions, although I can't really determine why. Looking online, people primarily orient them up or down (all of mine are coming from the wall), but I still haven't found any indication as to why a certain direction is chosen.

I'm sure it depends on the supply stop location in relation to the fixture as well as line length in some instances, but is there a preferred orientation you pros use (i.e. outlet pointed down for a toilet, and outlet pointed up for a faucet, etc.)?

Thanks for the help!

Reach4

Reaction score
Orientation does not mater, but try to make it easy to operate.

For a toilet with a flex line on the left, if the toilet inlet was at 12 o'clock with respect to the valve, I would point the outlet of the right angle valve at about 1:00 or 1:30 to let the flex line lean in toward the toilet a bit. If you use chrome plated copper (super reliable but less popular today due to speed) I think you would point the output toward the toilet inlet.

KP Texan

Marine Engineer
Reaction score
Orientation does not mater, but try to make it easy to operate.

For a toilet with a flex line on the left, if the toilet inlet was at 12 o'clock with respect to the valve, I would point the outlet of the right angle valve at about 1:00 or 1:30 to let the flex line lean in toward the toilet a bit. If you use chrome plated copper (super reliable but less popular today due to speed) I think you would point the output toward the toilet inlet.
Thanks for the reply. That makes sense. I suppose any orientation is fine as long as it allows for a nice bend in the line with no kinks. I bought some stainless braided lines for all these, so I'll just sort of lay out the line before placing the valve to make sure it allows for a smooth transition.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally I have them facing upward.
There are just a few times I've installed them facing down, and those were for toilets when the shutoff was plumbed in pretty high.

KP Texan

Marine Engineer
Reaction score
Normally I have them facing upward.
There are just a few times I've installed them facing down, and those were for toilets when the shutoff was plumbed in pretty high.
Thanks, Terry! I'll default to pointing up unless there's some other reason it won't work.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Under a sink sometimes the supply piping, for one reason or another, is installed up high. You'd then point the supply stops down and get a flex hose that can make a nice U-bend without bending at the swivel connection. This is better than having a tiny little supply hose than can't easily be removed or requires man handling to bend in line.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
2 considerations 1 ease of installation , I consider beyond easy and don't want excessive bends or kink 2 aesthetics

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks