Advice on Heating warehouse space

Users who are viewing this thread

kc105

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

We just purchased a Metal building thats 4800 sq ft (60 x 80) of which 3000 sq ft is warehouse space and 1800 sq ft office. The ceiling height is 15 ft. Building has insulation in walls and ceilings & 2 overhead doors. Currently there's only electricity (3 phase available) in the building. The office is currently heated and cooled by a 1o year old york system, ducted with mostly flexible tubing throughout the office space. At this point, i'd like to start with the warehouse HVAC. My contractor has done a Heat Load for the 3000 sq ft and says I need 83K BTU's of Heat and 40k BTU's for Cooling. We've discussed several VFR systems.

At the moment my contractor is suggesting a Mitsubishi City Multi 8-ton hyper heating H2i heat pump PUHY-HP96TNU-A with 2 Inside Multi-Position Air Handler's Ducted PVFY-P54NAMU-E1 with Optional Electric Heat Kit

Some questions are;
Is it better to get 2 - 4 ton outside units?
Should we increase size of the Outside Unit to provide future expansion into the office space?
Will this be a very expensive way to heat the warehouse compared to oil or propane?
Will this system provide the heat needed on cold days?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
On systems that size it is sometimes cheaper to go with a ground source heat pump.

What methods did the contractor use to come up with the load numbers?

What capacity/size (and SEER/HSPF) is the York? Have you monitored it's duty cycle during both heating & cooling seasons?

kc105

Reaction score
On systems that size it is sometimes cheaper to go with a ground source heat pump.

What methods did the contractor use to come up with the load numbers?

What capacity/size (and SEER/HSPF) is the York? Have you monitored it's duty cycle during both heating & cooling seasons?

Hi,
The contractor visited the building took measurements and sent a report from a software that looks to be called wrightsoft.
The existing york is 4 ton 10 seer according to the contractor.
I take ownership of the building next week and was unable to monitor or get any past bills from the seller as its been vacant for a few years.
Thanks

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Have you considered a back up generator?

I like redundancy so I would opt for 2 - 4 ton outside units? just in case one unit fails

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Hi,
The contractor visited the building took measurements and sent a report from a software that looks to be called wrightsoft.
The existing york is 4 ton 10 seer according to the contractor.
I take ownership of the building next week and was unable to monitor or get any past bills from the seller as its been vacant for a few years.
Thanks

Wrightsoft tools can cover a number of different load calculation types, some of which are appropriate for warehouses or commercial space, others (such as ACCA Manual-J) are only appropriate for residential. Ventilation rates used for different types of building uses make a HUGE difference in the total load numbers.

If you have the full printed report, verify that the measurements and assembly details used are pretty close to reality. This often takes a few hours to audit properly. Sometimes there are immediate glaring errors of commission, such as unrealistic outside & indoor design temperatures or insane indoor heat source levels. eg: A metals foundry has a lot more heat gain than a warehouse or office. A warehouse might only need to be heated to 55-60F. Offices will sometimes have high internal heat sources from equipment that is on 24/7 or high occupancy. High occupancy also requires higher ventilation rates, etc. Suffice to say, details matter.

A roughly rectangular code minimum residential building that size in MA would typically run a design heat load of about 55,000 - 60,000 BTU/hr , and a design cooling load of 36,000-40,000 BTU/hr (using an aggressive Manual-J) but this isn't a house.

kc105

Reaction score
60-65F should be good enough for the warehouse.
One contractor is recommending Samsung DMVS Max Heat Unit with 360 Cassettes inside.
Anyone have experience with this equipment?

Cokomo

Reaction score
Such a small space , I would think mini splits would do the job very nicely, given mid to high 70’s for heat would never be necessary. Do a proper heat loss .

Fitter30

Reaction score
What will be in the warehouse? Is there a large garage door and now much traffic? Mini splits don't handle dirty conditions cleaning indoor units gets costly. Garage doors in winter open them up for a few minutes wipes out all the heat without having a heater blowing towards the door to offset the load.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks