Advice on fixing a messed up toilet flange install - repost - with pics

Users who are viewing this thread

opplumbinghub

Reaction score
Website
opplumbinghub.com
I posted previously asking for help fixing this, and I got some excellent and very helpful responses. But I am adding pictures and more details, asking if this specific fix I am planning on doing would work, before I go ahead and screw it up further.

I would greatly like to avoid trying to remove the glued on flange as this would require cutting tile and chipping concrete, just to leave me with the problem of how to actually cut off the flange without damaging the 3" drain pipe.

Here is what I am working with. I have a 3" waste drain pipe in concrete and a tile floor. I used a 3" hub type pvc flange were you outside glue fit the flange to a 3" pipe. Problem is I glued it in too high off the floor to fit my toilet. I have since cut the flange off leaving about 3/8" of flange and pipe extending above the floor. which is pic 1

The outside diameter of the flange and pipe is 4". Pic 2

My idea at this point is to create a wide enough surface on the pipe so that I can glue the top part of the actually flange piece to it.

Using a piece of 4" pipe I cut a 1/4" thick ring, which will be glued on the outside of the pipe in the floor to increase the OD to 4.5". Pic 3

Then I took the same flange and cut the outlet part completely off, or flush to the underside surface. Pics 4 and 5.

My idea is to use JB Weld to glue the flat flange onto the top surface of the pipe in the floor. This pipe is sticking up above the floor 1/4 inches. Giving me a total height above the floor of 1/2". Which is fine for my toilet.

Would this work? Would it be secure enough?

I appreciate any feedback.
First, clean the pipe and flange piece well to remove any dirt or old glue. This will help the JB Weld stick better. When you apply the JB Weld, spread it evenly and press the flange piece firmly onto the pipe. Make sure the flange is aligned correctly with the pipe so the toilet will fit properly. You might need to hold it in place or clamp it while the JB Weld dries.

Here's a step-by-step recap:
1. Clean the pipe and flange surfaces.
2. Glue the 1/4" thick ring cut from the 4" pipe onto the pipe in the floor with PVC cement.
3. Apply JB Weld to the top of the ring and the pipe surface.
4. Attach the modified flange piece on top, making sure it’s centered and level.
5. Let the JB Weld dry completely as per the instructions.

Your idea of making a wider base and securing the flange with JB Weld should work, but ensure it’s very secure to avoid any issues with the toilet’s stability. If you're unsure, it might be helpful to ask a professional plumber to check your fix before you go ahead.

GReynolds929

Reaction score
First, clean the pipe and flange piece well to remove any dirt or old glue. This will help the JB Weld stick better. When you apply the JB Weld, spread it evenly and press the flange piece firmly onto the pipe. Make sure the flange is aligned correctly with the pipe so the toilet will fit properly. You might need to hold it in place or clamp it while the JB Weld dries.

Here's a step-by-step recap:
1. Clean the pipe and flange surfaces.
2. Glue the 1/4" thick ring cut from the 4" pipe onto the pipe in the floor with PVC cement.
3. Apply JB Weld to the top of the ring and the pipe surface.
4. Attach the modified flange piece on top, making sure it’s centered and level.
5. Let the JB Weld dry completely as per the instructions.

Your idea of making a wider base and securing the flange with JB Weld should work, but ensure it’s very secure to avoid any issues with the toilet’s stability. If you're unsure, it might be helpful to ask a professional plumber to check your fix before you go ahead.
Get out of here you hack. OP has already chosen an appropriate repair. An actual plumber would not recommend what you are apparently OK with recommending.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks