Adjusting the Temperature Limit Stop on Shower Valves

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
All modern shower valves have anti-scald technology which includes two different parts:

- Antiscald, often by the use of a pressure balance spool valve

- A temperature limit stop (or calibration, if it is a thermostatically controlled valve)

When set from the factory, they are often set for ‘typical’ incoming water temperatures, which may not match yours, especially if your cold water is very cold (like in the winter) or very warm (like say you live in Arizona in the summer). The valve has some means of adjusting how much hot can be used, and generally starts out all cold, then gradually mixes in more and more hot up until it reaches the stop.

Different manufacturers, and even within the same one based on the model line and type, will have different methods to change that maximum handle rotation that controls how much hot water you can get out of the valve.

Thermostatically controlled valves are often pretty close to being accurate, and will adjust their output based on the incoming water temperatures to provide a much more consistent outlet temperature…all a single handle valve does is adjust the mix of hot and cold, and if those sources change their temperatures (like say, you’ve used up a lot of the water tank’s hot water and that is starting to cool off), the outlet temperature will change. The biggest change is often the seasonal one that affects the cold water inlet temperature. So, if the stop is adjusted to just get the max safe temp in say the winter, it will likely be too hot in the summer when the cold water is much warmer, and vice-versa…if done in the summer, it may not be hot enough in the winter since the cold water is MUCH colder and will dilute the water temperature much more.

First thing to check is that you have opened any in-line shutoff valves FULLY prior to adjusting the limit stop on your actual shower/tub valve!

Here are some links to some various brands videos on how to adjust shower valves:

American Standard (not an AS video) https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+american+standard+limit+stop&view=detail&mid=1949914A86B03CCB4AFD1949914A86B03CCB4AFD&FORM=VIRE7

Pfister

Moen (not a Moen video)

That covers the majority of those commonly available, but the best thing is to keep your original installation instructions and follow those, as they do make changes. These videos should give you a good idea, and you can probably figure it out after watching one or more of these. To be safest, you should use an instant read thermometer, and check how hot things actually can get, as defeating this safety feature by allowing it to get really hot, can be dangerous!

Jim DeBruycker

28 February 2016

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've only done this on two, so I don't have any fancy devices, but I used an ordinary thermometer to set them. May not be scientific, but they work just fine.

Jeff Boshet

Reaction score
I've attached a pic of the writing on the bottom of the valve

tub valve.jpg

Price Phister
The temp setting was the middle one.
I'm going to home despot now (hardware store) to get a replacement cartridge as this one is old
I'll install the new one to the higher temp setting.
If I could get anywhere close to 120 I'd be plenty happy with that.

I'll report back after the "operation seeking warmer water"

Last edited:

Jeff Boshet

Reaction score
Thank you so VERY much for the help and advice.
With your advice, I fixed it. :0)
The new cartridge rotated to "A" the hotter setting did what I had hoped!
I am very grateful for your help

I sent you a $ tip via paypal.

Thank you for providing this service to all us regular people

Emadiane

Reaction score
Phister has a temperature stop that can be rotated behind the handle.

pp_ox8_parts.gif
Terry, my shower faucet is missing the temperature stop disc. When I turn the handle clockwise, I am not getting enough cold water and the pressure drops. Is there another way to adjust water temp mixture?
Phister has a temperature stop that can be rotated behind the handle.

pp_ox8_parts.gif
Terry, my shower faucet is missing the temperature stop disc. My water doesn’t get cold. When I turn the handle clockwise to cold the pressure drops and it stays warm. Is there another way to adjust water temp mixture?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Without the disk, on some designs, it is possible to rotate the valve handle beyond design limits, and that can go right through the hot range, back into the cold...so, without the cam in there, you might not be able to just rotate the thing max, and then expect it to get to hot...try it from off gradually increasing it, and you MIGHT get a temp you like. Also note, some cartridges can be installed in two positions, to allow for the hot/cold to be reversed (this can make the plumbing easier if there are back-to-back showers...so they don't need to cross the lines). You might have the cartidge in in 180-degrees out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks