Adding a drain line (Options?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike Ramsey

Reaction score
Good morning! So I had a new furnace and ac installed yesterday which prompted me to finally redo our laundry area in the basement. Essentially looking to move the washing machine 90 degrees and 3'. Currently on the right of the laundry tub. As you can see in the pic it currently discharges into the tub and drains into the floor drain. I would like to tie it into the 3" ABS on the left which is the same line the floor drain ties into. I figure I have 2 options. I hate that the original tee is right at the concrete and that it is reduced to 1-1/2" with a bushing. I could shorten the 1.5" pipe and attempt to use a socket saver on the 3" tee to extend the 3" to add 3-2-3 sanitary tee. This option runs the risk of breaking the hub on the fitting.

The second option would be a 3"thread slip add a 3-2-3 wye with a clean out. Run the 2" along the wall to pick up the washing machine and laundry tub.

Anyone see any pitfalls with doing this?

IMG_4097.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How about a close picture of the tee near the floor.
If it's ABS, a RamBit can drill out the flush bushing at the top, an additional 3x2 santee can then be added above.
At the same time, you can add the missing cleanout fitting above that.

Is that a vent going up? Or is it waste coming down?
If it's a vent, then you can revent the p-trap to that, if it's waste, then you will need a different way to vent the new p-trap, sometimes and AAV is what people use.

Mike Ramsey

Reaction score
How about a close picture of the tee near the floor.
If it's ABS, a RamBit can drill out the flush bushing at the top, an additional 3x2 santee can then be added above.
At the same time, you can add the missing cleanout fitting above that.

Is that a vent going up? Or is it waste coming down?
If it's a vent, then you can revent the p-trap to that, if it's waste, then you will need a different way to vent the new p-trap, sometimes and AAV is what people use.
Hey Terry, its a waste coming down from the kitchen sink. I was planning on adding an AAV for the vent.
close up.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
So is a 3 x 1-1/2 bushing made to be compatible with a Rambit? I.e. is the outer part that goes into the 3" hub the same thickness as schedule 40, so that the guide disk would fit inside it? If so, that's very convenient.

Cheers, Wayne

Mike Ramsey

Reaction score
So is a 3 x 1-1/2 bushing made to be compatible with a Rambit? I.e. is the outer part that goes into the 3" hub the same thickness as schedule 40, so that the guide disk would fit inside it? If so, that's very convenient.

Cheers, Wayne
The ones I've seen aren't. I figure I'd have to cut out the center of the bushing with a hole saw or before I can use the rambit. My concern it that I crack the fitting in the process then I am breaking concrete.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks