AC unit fan doesn't start

Users who are viewing this thread

Haktor5

Reaction score
Hey folks,
I'm having trouble with my AC and it's getting unbearable in Boston heat.

Even after watching many videos and reading tons of great comments I still couldn’t fix my carrier ac unit sitting outside.

What I diagnosed so far is:

- Condenser works but fan doesn’t. After 40-50 seconds condenser shuts down. I tried to manually turn the fan but didn't help kickstart itself.

- I opened up the panel. Capacitor and cables all look good and new. There is a blinking yellow light on the motherboard tho. (it’s a 2008 made unit). Couldn’t find what it means online.
Mine is a carrier performance 24apa5 model ac.

Any thoughts what the problem is here?

SShaw

Reaction score
Sounds like symptoms of a bad capacitor. Did you test it with a multimeter? That's the only way to tell for sure if it's bad.

Capacitors are cheap and easy to change, but you need to know what you are doing, as the capacitor is connected to 240 volts and will retain a charge after the power is shut off.

Fitter30

Reaction score
https://www.manualslib.com/products/Carrier-24apa-2835541.html
Heres the manual its a safe web site. Fan runs anytime compressor runs unit is tripping on a high pressure switch. Try a capacitor can pick one up at appliance parts or motor repair shop. Take a pic of the wiring before disconnecting and Capacitors can hold Voltage with power off short termials with a screwdriver between termials before unwiring.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
It sounds like a bad fan motor. The relay used to bring power to the compressor also switches on the fan motor. But getting the code reading from the board may tell the problem. Page 12 table 3 in the manual.
A bad cap will usually have a swollen top by the connectors or if it's an electrolyte type it will be leaking. A bad cap the fan motor can still turn with a push on the fan blades but it will run slow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks