A few code questions

Users who are viewing this thread

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
Someone (sorry, I forget who) posted a link to this very nice compilation of fittings and basic code requirements on a thread. The majority of it I was familiar with, but there were a couple questions that came up as I read through it. Any edumacation you can give would be much appreciated :)

Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

So a SanTee is used for a trap arm. I would assume from this that a double SanTee would be for side by side lavs with the drain/vent in the middle, or do you have to use the double fixture fitting for this application? Is the double SanTee only for joining vents? The double fixture is for back to backs and side by sides... Is this the required fitting, or are they both options? What is the difference in use between these two fittings, and why? Is the sweep/flow just better on the fixture fitting, and the double santee is just an option for venting b/c its shorter?

You see both combination wye fittings and SanTees being used to connect a horizontal drain into a vertical one. Are both permissible in general, or are there different requirements for each's use? I know you need the SanTee for a trap arm, and the combination wye for horizontal to horizontal drains, but are there other specific differences in a horizontal to vertical drain application, or can either be used?

On the 2nd Drains and Vents page, it shows a vent under a window and says to use drainage fittings. What is this about?

In the Sinks section, bottom left pic is a lav draining into a toilet vent, and being vented by it. So you can do this, as long as the trap arm is under 3'6" and you only do it on the same floor? Is that correct?

Is the distance between trap and vent on 2" line greater than 3'6"? Related to that, what are the specific requirements of flat venting?

It says that no drains from other fixtures may enter the closet bend, only downstream of the vent. Is this correct? Unless I'm misreading this, I know that my house has inlets on the closet elbow, and wyes coming off the 3" horizontal before the vent in almost every location, and it passed inspection a few years ago. My county adds a lot of extra code requirements in general, so I'd be surprised if they let this fly if its not generally acceptable...

Ok, that ended up being more questions than I thought. Thanks to anyone who is willing to help me get a more complete understanding of these codes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
The double fixture fitting is quite a bit different than a double san-tee.

abs_fixture_cross.jpg

double_lav_rough_1.jpg

The only time I've seen a wye used to tie a horizontal drain into a vertical drain stack is after the fixture has been vented.

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can see that it is a different fitting, I guess I'm just asking why its different in use.... does it flow better for 2 trap arms? Why is it so different from a single SanTee?

Its kind of a moot point for me, we're not allowed to use them in my county, have to split a double sink into 2 drains and 2 vents and join them back together above flood rim (even on a kitchen sink, which requires 2 traps here), but I'm curious what the more normal way of doing things is...

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
For sinks I think it has more to do with trying to snake the line.

For back to back w/c, a flush on one side can push up into the other w/ san-tee.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
SanTee is used only on the vertical. And a combo, or wye + 45, is NOT used on the vertical. If it was, the take-off for the vent would be below the weir of the trap, hence the trap would self-siphon.

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
SanTee is used only on the vertical. And a combo, or wye + 45, is NOT used on the vertical. If it was, the take-off for the vent would be below the weir of the trap, hence the trap would self-siphon.

Those requirements are for a fitting where you're pulling a vent off right there. I was referring to combining drain lines further down, and other circumstances for the use of those fittings. Is there any rhyme or reason to how to combine two drain lines after the vent, or is either acceptable based on circumstances? I tend to try to use a wye whenever possible (other than for a vertical vent fitting), as it just seems like it would flow better, but are there requirements or best practices regarding a wye vs a tee for combining a horizontal drain into a vertical drain post vent?

Any input on the other things in my OP?

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks