5 degree difference between two adjacent rooms

Users who are viewing this thread

Btakla

Reaction score
Good morning member,

I have an issue with two adjacent room in a single story house where one room is either very hot or very cold and the other is less conditioned by 5 degree.

The are fed from two different main ducts. Here is what I am thinking to do:

1- add more rigid insulation board at the AC working platform area above the less conditioned room - I noticed that an area of 6X6 right above this room is free of insulation right in front of the AC)

2- the less conditioned room has a long Duct run- I am thinking of attaching a Tee/Wyee with damper at an earlier point of the main duct.

Any other suggestions or comments on the above will be very appriciated.

4C19A57A-A8BA-4783-B125-E9D84F3BD295.jpeg
AEF2053D-C2FE-48E9-996D-298C72D12BC4.jpeg
49929691-720D-44B4-8B5A-7C9DAEE432F7.jpeg

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Balancing dampers are an excellent way to control proper/desireable airflow. We put them at ALL wyes and at starting collars, depending on situation.
BTW, tight bends are frowned upon...there are plastic bend supports that make for excellent smooth bends. Alternatively a flying 2 x4 like you already have on one duct is a good method.

Fitter30

Reaction score
If you changed out that long flex duct to round metal the air flow should increase because the flex duct is very restricted. The existing flex could be used th insulate the metal duct. Can be pulled over the metal while the flex duct liner is pulled out. Easy way to cut round pipe is a 4" angle grinder with a thin wheel and will need a crimper for the end of the pipe.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The are fed from two different main ducts..........I am thinking of attaching a Tee/Wyee with damper at an earlier point of the main duct
First try using damper as "breplum" suggest. Usually the grill has louvers that can be opened or closed but a damper before the grate in the duct work is far better.

I think a better solution is eliminate one of the feeds, install a plenum box at a location that would be equal in distance to both rooms. Bring the duct from the main trunk to this box, then branch off to each room. This picture is just to show how it works. There are many styles and some you make yourself with starter rings and duct board. This method should eliminate duct work with minimum bends.

Another part of a solution is called jump vents. It's required in Florida and depending when the home was built you may have them or not. A jump vent to a simple grill in the bedroom ceiling and ducted over to the hallway ceiling where space has unrestricted flow to the return. Usually with an attic installed the return is in the hallway. When a bedroom door is closed with no jump vents, air flow is restricted to just the gap under the door if the door is closed. With a jump vent the air flow has little or no restriction. My last home did not have jump vents but my current home does. It makes a difference on comfort.

1668797594158.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks