40 gallon with mixing valve verse 60 no mixing valve

Users who are viewing this thread

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Using a mixing valve after the water heater set to 140º, increases the availability of hot water 40%-60% depending on inlet cold water temperature. For the BC area the cold inlet temperature is about 50ºF. The water heater set to 140 degrees will be an equivalent 56 gallon tank. Pros higher temperature keeps bacteria in check with a lesser chance of running out of hot water. Cons, for gas it will cost more to keep the temperature constant. Electric just a little more since there is no heat going up the chimney and standby lost is very low.

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hotter water can also cause undo mineral deposits both inside of the heater and at the fixtures. But the cost of a larger tank is (I think) a good bit more and does take up a good bit more space.

I keep my tank at 135 that's pretty hot. I don't use a mixing valve but I've been thinking about using one up at the lav. I like having piping hot water at the kitchen, but I want to switch to a single handle at the lav and my 2 year old likes to turn the water on.

Plainly I think mixing at the fixtures (so you can pick and choose) is a better overall result.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks