4" cast iron hub to large (3") PVC

Users who are viewing this thread

jay73

Reaction score
I have an old 4" cast iron sewer drain hub, but only 1 and 1/2 PVC pipe is able to tie through a cast iron reducer:

IMG_casting_iron_swer_HDR.jpg

I would need to tie a 3" PVC pipe to the cast iron sewer line. Do I need to cut the 4" CI hub or any advise?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
No you can drill out the lead around the hub/reducer. Then once the hub is cleaned there are donuts available to buy based on the size of the cast iron you have and the size of pvc you want to put into it.

It looks like you have 4" extra heavy cast iron, so you'd need to go from 4" xh to 3"pvc. You can call fernco or go to a plumbing parts store and have them look up the part number you need.

Potatoes

Reaction score
I was given the same advice here for an issue I had with connecting a cast iron hub to pvc. Skip the big box stores and call Fernco directly. They will tell you what products are available including the data sheets with dimensions that you could reference to make sure the product will work. Once you know if they sell a product that can solve your problem, check to see if a big box store carries the specific part. Worse case scenario, is you order from an online retailer and have shipped in a few days.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks