4" ABS fitting cracked at cleanout

Users who are viewing this thread

Atodalen

Reaction score
Home owner here. Any thoughts on how to deal with a cracked clean out fitting. I'm thinking that the cleanout plug may have been over tightened at some point. Looks to be quite difficult to replace the fitting. Will a good epoxy do the trick?

cracked fitting.jpg
cracked fitting1.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Maybe someone else has tried something like epoxy for a crack like that.
I normally would cut the fitting out, using a RamBit into the 45 below it and put new fittings on. It would be nice if the epoxy worked though.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
oh yea probably overtightened while testing. Explains why all the Pipe Dope? Now if you observed crack and it has never leaked, I'd probably leave it alone in such a location.
In that location if you aren't covering it under drywall , ABS glue should fill that crack you put several coats on letting it dry.
Glue, epoxy etc. isn't code legal , so How bad would it be if 10 years from now it developed a slight drip?

Reach4

Reaction score
I would remove the cap before applying adhesive.
I am not sure what adhesive I would use, but as soon as I applied it, and before the adhesive hardened, I would wrap that hub with something. I might use several turns of strong cord that I have. There may be a strapping method that would be suitable.

The wrap would not only clamp the cement, but would also counteract future splitting forces.

Atodalen

Reaction score
oh yea probably overtightened while testing. Explains why all the Pipe Dope? Now if you observed crack and it has never leaked, I'd probably leave it alone in such a location.
In that location if you aren't covering it under drywall , ABS glue should fill that crack you put several coats on letting it dry.
Glue, epoxy etc. isn't code legal , so How bad would it be if 10 years from now it developed a slight drip?
Probably been that way for years. I noticed some seepage on the top of the 45 below it a couple of years ago and thought that joint was the problem until I just recently noticed the crack in the cleanout fitting. Thanks for the ideas.

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
After you've removed the cap and the glue or whatever has dried, take a large diameter stainless steel hose clamp and place it around the exterior of the cracked hub, then tighten the clamp securely before replacing the cap. Hopefully that will help the glued joint resist the stress the cap will place on the hub when the cap is threaded back in.

Atodalen

Reaction score
After you've removed the cap and the glue or whatever has dried, take a large diameter stainless steel hose clamp and place it around the exterior of the cracked hub, then tighten the clamp securely before replacing the cap. Hopefully that will help the glued joint resist the stress the cap will place on the hub when the cap is threaded back in.
Great idea, thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks