2015 PVC Question

Users who are viewing this thread

MEinChi

Reaction score
I am looking at a project in Chicago that is a 3-story with garden level duplex building (that is, 4 total stories, 2 total units) and I can't figure out if PVC waste piping is allowed as it is on the edge of the language in the code. Chicago 2015 Code, 18-29-702.1 states that the use of PVC shall be limited to "buildings three stories or less in height intended for family occupancy." My questions are:
1) Does the garden-level basement count as a story for the purposes of this code? I would describe the building as a 3-story structure, however there are 4 dwelling floors. One description would allow PVC waste piping, one would not.
2) "Family" is not defined in Chapter 18-29, but by 13-56-030 means "one or more persons each related to the other by blood (or adoption), together with such blood relations' respective spouses, who are living together in a single dwelling and maintaining a common household..." there is more but it doesn't really relate to my question. Is the use of the word "family" in this context specific to a single family, so the building would not fit that definition, or is it used in a more general term and the duplex unit would fit the 'family occupancy' line in the code?
3) In essence, for a 3-story with garden level duplex building, would PVC be an acceptable piping material to use for waste piping above-ground (obviously below ground it is unacceptable)? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since your question was posed over a week ago and has received no replies, I'd suggest you contact your local inspector(s)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF you have FOUR levels, then it is NOT a "three story building". "Family" is used as opposed to a building with commercial (business) occupants.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks