2 zones, not enough pressure to work

Users who are viewing this thread

roughyear

Reaction score
Ok... continuation from my previous topic. I had a bad zone due to a short in a wire, and thus used the wire from a flower bed zone to fix the bad lawn zone

I then decided to connect the 2 different flower bed zones (#6 and #10) and make both #10.. but as expected, there is not enough water pressure to make both zones operate correctly.. Zone #6 is pumping out about 75%, while zone number #10 seems to be only about 50%, as the sprayers do not reach full height and spraying distance.

Any idea on how to increase the pressure to simultaneously operating zones?? I saw something called a "doubler", which looks like a switch that operates zones separately via on-off cycle , essentially turning one wire into "two wires" to operate the solenoids separately during the cycle, as long as they're not set to runn back to back .. the "doubler" is a bit pricy at $119.

Any other thoughts?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
What is the water source? How many sprinklers for these flower boxes? How many in each zone. Does a single zone work ok?

It's not all that bad sinking a new irrigation wire. Just cut the sod with a flat blade old fashion edger or cut a grove with an ice scraper. Push the wire into the cut grove. It'd be only a few inches deep. It's low voltage so there are no requirements on how deep it needs to be. The same as with 12v patio lights.

From my experience, Hunter controllers do not like two solenoids on one zone where as with my Rainbird I run two solenoids on one zone for a year now. It may cause an over current in the module and burn out, but it could last.

It's the first i heard of the doubler. After seeing how it is wired it is a simple device. It has a relay or switching circuit that flips each time power is applied. To make both zones work on the same day, at the controller set program B to operate zone 10 assuming Program A activates zone 6. Run Program B after Program A has completed.

If this doubler uses a relay, it's a single pole double throw latching relay.

https://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/...Vnixz2A0Ph47eI419xLwKOs9tHzwV2pZ/product/420/

Last edited:

roughyear

Reaction score
I was going to run a new wire from the controller to the first box where the fault is in the one wire (I HAD 11 zones and one MV, thus all 13 wires in use). The GRAY wire is the bad one , but the box is 120 feet away from the controller and I would have to trench underneath a concrete/paver walkway and down a 3foot retaining wall, which would make it tough to proceed, but I guess doable.

The one flower bed zone has 5 sprayer/misters heads, the other flower bed zone has 7 sprayer/mister heads .. Ironically, the zone with the 7 sprayers gets more water and the sprayers at least telescope to full erection, whereas the other zone barely gets 1/4 chub and water just leaks everywhere.

I'm on a well system , the pipes appear to be at least 3/4 inch, maybe 1 inch.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks